Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...has anyone else experienced problems with reception with their stock radio? it has gotten so bad that i can barely pick up any FM stations let alone even think about any AM stations. i live in a fairly large metropolis and it is nothing but static and the occational station reception.

any ideas as to whether or not it is the radio, or the antenna?
thanks

2000 Impala LS - original owner :biggrin:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine started to get a little fuzzy before i replaced it, but nothin that bad.

Did you check the antenna and all that to make sure its all intact?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't really know where the antenna is located...i assume its back in the rear window but don't know where the connections are located. Any help on that?

and its so bad that the FM acts like i'm listening to AM...its almost unlistenable...

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can try checking the plug at the back of your radio, not the big wire loom looking plug that plugs into the back of you radio but the single wire with a silver tip on it. It will some times come unplugged not often but I have seen it. The antenna is in the back window. I have never had one come undone from the back so I wouldn't know how to tell ya to fix it.

WIKI Says LOL

The antenna for at least the 2000-2005 Impala's is built into the rear windshield. There is actually a little "control box" that the radio antenna wires goes to from the radio. It is located on the drivers side rear pillar under the trim plastic. From there a small antenna wire goes to the defroster terminals. It is a known problem for that module to die. I personally did not want to pay several hundred dollars for a new control box nor a rear windshield. I purchased an active FM antenna from some car audio joint for like $15 that works just fine.

Inspect the defrost lines on the rear windshield.
I was able to spot the place where one was interrupted. If a broken line is not visible, you can try sliding a small piece of aluminum foil along each line and check the spot where the radio reception is static-free. To fix the problem, I have used Permatex Quick Grid Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit. It is a conductive compound that restores the electrical circuit.

Hope this helps
Sequoyah

·
Registered
375 Posts
There is a connector line from the defroster/radio lines across the rear windshield that connects into a clip at the rear pillar. Sometimes this connection becomes loose, so make sure that is snug.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There is a connector line from the defroster/radio lines across the rear windshield that connects into a clip at the rear pillar. Sometimes this connection becomes loose, so make sure that is snug.
Yeah thats what i checked out sorry for not clarifying that. I didnt want to mess withe taking out the stock head unit, but i got a aftermarket head unit as a birthday gift

So that ended that problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What head unit did ya get
I got the Pioneer Premier DEH P310UB. I love it, i love how the tuning is so easy, and the ipod passenger control. Now i just have to track down an amp for my subs. I got 2 12" Kicker CVR's :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can try checking the plug at the back of your radio, not the big wire loom looking plug that plugs into the back of you radio but the single wire with a silver tip on it. It will some times come unplugged not often but I have seen it. The antenna is in the back window. I have never had one come undone from the back so I wouldn't know how to tell ya to fix it.

WIKI Says LOL

The antenna for at least the 2000-2005 Impala's is built into the rear windshield. There is actually a little "control box" that the radio antenna wires goes to from the radio. It is located on the drivers side rear pillar under the trim plastic. From there a small antenna wire goes to the defroster terminals. It is a known problem for that module to die. I personally did not want to pay several hundred dollars for a new control box nor a rear windshield. I purchased an active FM antenna from some car audio joint for like $15 that works just fine.

Inspect the defrost lines on the rear windshield.
I was able to spot the place where one was interrupted. If a broken line is not visible, you can try sliding a small piece of aluminum foil along each line and check the spot where the radio reception is static-free. To fix the problem, I have used Permatex Quick Grid Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit. It is a conductive compound that restores the electrical circuit.

Hope this helps
Sequoyah
thanks guys, i'll check into these...i've been laid off for 9mo and can't really afford a new deck but this business of listening to static is driving me nuts :frown:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts