Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone's familiar. How often to police have RDDs (Radar Detector Detectors) or some sort of jammer? I am thinking of getting a RD, but wondering if it's worth it if its going to be blocked.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believe they use them in Canada and Virginia. Most modern state-of-the-art radar detectors are designed to go under the RDD. Don't know if that's the direction the PDs are going in these days, when there are so many easy targets for their radar or laser toys. If I were spending money on speeder interdiction, I'd go after the soft targets.
Some more aware PDs know that radar detector-equipped cars actually help in sometraffic control situations, e.g. when there's a wreck ahead and a cop car is there with its radar running, an RD-equipped car will slow, if there are a few of them in the herd the herd can also be slowed down as it approaches the scene.

Check National Motorists Association National Motorists Association Website they are the ones who keep up with the electronic warfare front.

I've been running a Valentine 1 for years, decades almost, it's supposed to be RDD-proof. Valentine One radar and laser detectors

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
They work pretty well if they ( the police ) are not using Instant On Laser .
You cannot react fast enough.
All your detector will tell you is that you are about to get a ticket.
Your detector will beep a millisecond or 2 after the reading is registered on the laser transmitter.

An "Awe Shit" moment.

There are some "Jammers" out there that will take the laser shot and not allow it to be returned, or, mix it up so it does not register on the transmitter, but as I understand it they are pretty expensive.
Cant recall the name of them.

Basically the laser does not see your car. ( for lack of a better term )

I have only watched the video of this device that was prepared by the manufacturer ( self serving I think ) that was being played at a place that does remote car installs. ( got one of those installed for my daughter as a xmas present )

I have found over the years that it's just cheaper to drive the limit, ( + 10 K or 6 mph ) but that's just me.

Shrug

Good luck

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, fellas. I am pretty torn between the 9500 and V1. Thoughts or experience, anyone?

PS I travel between here and Peoria for school often, but when I'm home it's mostly city driving. In total, it's about 6 months at school and 6 home with breaks and all. But I don't drive my car too much in Peoria, (I will eventually) but at home I do almost daily.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Beltronics STi Driver Magnum - Undetectable Radar Detector in Canada
My son is running a bel sti with no radar detection from the Radar Detector Detectors and " O " problems with detection and law.
Laser and instant on's if there close there not good . but if you sharp your ok. that at 15 to 20 mph over the posted.

http://store.blendmount.com/blendmo...rt-radar-detector-chevrolet-impala-p1054.aspx
buy the bbe-2000 for the auto dim and the 2001 for manual dim and do a hard wire to get it wire out of sight.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Or save your money and use the cruise control and don't speed, lol. Neither of my vehicles have one and I have not had a speeding ticket since 1993. And even then it was my stupidity that cost me, lol.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
I took mine out.

With the instant on laser there is nothing you can do except jam it and that's federally illegal.
So a radar detector is a false sense of security that will probably get you in more trouble.

I have a gold pba card and a family members attorney general business card. Those two are always good for at most a warning.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I used a v1 back in 2002 and loved it, it actually tells you what band it is detecting, which direction, how many, and how far. Plus they say they will pay your ticket if you still get one. I would just mount it somewhere not obvious, cops will tend to not like you if they can see it.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Oh and make sure you get one with a real sensitive laser band. The way they protect you from the laser is alert you if a cop hits another car with a laser the more sensitive the laser band is the more of a chance of the detector picking up on a laser in the area.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I've heard. Basically I know the rules. I am observant, never lead the pack, never roam alone, and always use caution and common sense. This is an extra set of eyes, so to speak.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Between 2003 and halfway into 2004 I was using my speedometer in my Impala and running 70 on the highway not knowing that my speed was off and I was actually running 84 mph, lol. Though I noticed that I out ran most of the other drivers on the highway. I am surprised that I did not get caught for speeding back then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts