Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im picking up my new 08 impala ss saturday and am wondering if the factory in dash unit has any rca and sub outs i want to run 1 amp for 4 speakers and 1 amp for the sub box mine does have sunroof and leather but dont remember seeing if had the bose unit or not any help would be awesome

DSL DOC

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
No they do not have RCA outputs. If the amps are going to be in the trunk you might be able to get a devise that will take the rear speaker input and convert it to RCA output for the amps.

·
Registered
913 Posts
77 is right. Just take it to a audio shop and tell them that you want an rca adapter for you stock head unit, have them install it if you don't want to mess with it, then just run your own wires.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
No they do not have RCA outputs. If the amps are going to be in the trunk you might be able to get a devise that will take the rear speaker input and convert it to RCA output for the amps.
Hi,

I'm new here - first post - and resurrecting an old thread.

Maybe I'm missing something, but all the amps I've seen have dual inputs - ie, both low level (RCA) inputs and high level, speaker inputs. IOW, they have hi-lo converters built in. Why would someone prefer an external converter? Do the built-in types have a bad rep? Or am I looking at the wrong amps? :confused: Just curious.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Hi,

I'm new here - first post - and resurrecting an old thread.

Maybe I'm missing something, but all the amps I've seen have dual inputs - ie, both low level (RCA) inputs and high level, speaker inputs. IOW, they have hi-lo converters built in. Why would someone prefer an external converter? Do the built-in types have a bad rep? Or am I looking at the wrong amps? :confused: Just curious.

Doug

The amps do have dual inputs. The original question regarded if the factory radio in his car had Sub-woofer RCA outputs which the factory radio does not. He is trying to run sub woofer units and wanted the RCA to get the extra low tone not the full range sound. Plus if he sent the radio signal to the amp then he would have needed an extra amp to run the speakers he had just disconnected.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The amps do have dual inputs. The original question regarded if the factory radio in his car had Sub-woofer RCA outputs which the factory radio does not. He is trying to run sub woofer units and wanted the RCA to get the extra low tone not the full range sound. Plus if he sent the radio signal to the amp then he would have needed an extra amp to run the speakers he had just disconnected.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure the low frequencies of the subs dictate a converter. That is, if the full range signal makes it to the subs, they'll just ignore everything above their response range. It shouldn't adversely affect them. I agree, if the user only wants the lowest of the lows going there, then some sort of filter will be needed, but, IMO, the big, bass speaker is sufficiently its own low pass filter.

As for needing an extra amp, I'm under the impression that the sub amp won't adversely load the radio. It should still present a fairly high impedance load to the radio speaker outputs. I ran my sub amp off the signals driving the rear 6x9's with no ill effects.

I suppose, if the hi-lo converter has a volume control, the big benefit is that the user will end up with a separate sub control knob. That's one thing I wish I had.

Doug

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure the low frequencies of the subs dictate a converter. That is, if the full range signal makes it to the subs, they'll just ignore everything above their response range. It shouldn't adversely affect them. I agree, if the user only wants the lowest of the lows going there, then some sort of filter will be needed, but, IMO, the big, bass speaker is sufficiently its own low pass filter.

As for needing an extra amp, I'm under the impression that the sub amp won't adversely load the radio. It should still present a fairly high impedance load to the radio speaker outputs. I ran my sub amp off the signals driving the rear 6x9's with no ill effects.

I suppose, if the hi-lo converter has a volume control, the big benefit is that the user will end up with a separate sub control knob. That's one thing I wish I had.

Doug

Doug, I don't think you get it. You are over complicating what the OP was asking. The "converter" is only a line level converter, simply to be able to plug in some RCA's using the stock head unit which does not have inputs for them. Thats all, no sub control knob, no special converters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts