Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. The right turn signal on my 2008 Chevy Impala 3.5L LT began
blinking very rapidly, and I noticed my rear right brake light was out. After examining the bulbs and wiring, nothing seemed amiss. In
frustration I thumped the car near the brake light with the palm of my hand and it started working. It now reverts to the quick blinking, I assume when the ride is rough and whatever the problem is shakes loose, and again, if I thump it over the left brake light, it corrects itself... Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Possible bad multiswitch. Seen them do some crazy and erratic stuff on some vehicles with blinkers and wipers.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
blinking very rapidly, and I noticed my rear right brake light was out. After examining the bulbs and wiring, nothing seemed amiss. In
frustration I thumped the car near the brake light with the palm of my hand and it started working. It now reverts to the quick blinking, I assume when the ride is rough and whatever the problem is shakes loose, and again, if I thump it over the left brake light, it corrects itself... Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!
I'm getting confused - which bulb is intermittent?

If a thump fixes it, that is indeed some sort of a bad connection. Could be a loose wire, a failing bulb or a bad socket. We haven't seen bad tail light sockets (but we've seen a few bad headlight sockets). I'm guessing you have a bad bulb. The filaments can break on one end, and intermittently connect, such as after a thump. I replaced one within the past two weeks doing just that. When I pulled it out to inspect, I could see the loose filament.

Usually, they will eventually break off and fail completely.

I'd try a new bulb and see if the problem stays gone or comes back. That's the easiest/cheapest thing to do.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Possible bad multiswitch. Seen them do some crazy and erratic stuff on some vehicles with blinkers and wipers.
I agree, the mulitswitch and also the emergency flasher switch can cause some weird behavior, but the result of thumping the light makes me focus there first.

Doug

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm getting confused - which bulb is intermittent?

If a thump fixes it, that is indeed some sort of a bad connection. Could be a loose wire, a failing bulb or a bad socket. We haven't seen bad tail light sockets (but we've seen a few bad headlight sockets). I'm guessing you have a bad bulb. The filaments can break on one end, and intermittently connect, such as after a thump. I replaced one within the past two weeks doing just that. When I pulled it out to inspect, I could see the loose filament.

Usually, they will eventually break off and fail completely.

I'd try a new bulb and see if the problem stays gone or comes back. That's the easiest/cheapest thing to do.

HTH.

Doug

My Mercury I had would flash rapidly if a bulb was out. Replace burnt bulb and back to normal.

I'd try the bulb first also.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I agree, the mulitswitch and also the emergency flasher switch can cause some weird behavior, but the result of thumping the light makes me focus there first.

Doug

Read that and somehow missed retaining the thumping part, have our month old granddaughter here, focus issues. lol.

Agree that with the thumping or wiggling the bulbs it would be in the bulb/bulb holder/wiring at the socket.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

Another one-post wonder........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts