Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
a RAP fuse should just me a regular blade fuse. I would assume so since it said 10a fuse. ie: 10 amp mini blade fuse

Reactions: Orioles

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terrific. I will replace it and with any luck I'll be able to get my key out again. Thank you!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
no problem :beer:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I changed the RAP Fuse and you still cannot turn the key to OFF without pushing the manual plunger.

Anyone have any ideas on what my next step should be? I'd really like to get a copy of the following:

TSB #08-07-30-007B - "Key Cannot Be Removed from Igntion with Gear Selector in Park, Shifter Cannot Be Moved from Park Position (Repair/Reroute Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Solenoid Harness) - (June 8, 2009)

I have the ALLDATADIY for my 2006 Impala which gives all the TSBs for the 2006 year, but since this issue seems to only apply to 2007-2009 Impalas, that won't help me. If anyone needs a TSB from 2006, just let me know!

If anyone has this and could send it to me, I'd really appreciate it. Anyone else had this problem before, where you cannot get the key to turn to OFF in order for it to release? There are no other symptoms, the car shifts through the gears just fine, in/out of PARK just fine, but it just won't release the key when you turn car off.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are some helpful diagrams I found for folks if they ever have one of the following problems (1) key won't release from ignition, or (2) shifter won't shift out of PARK. Your problem likely lies in the Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Solenoid. FOR A QUICK FIX:

If your problem is shifting out of PARK:

There is a manual release. Volume posted a link above where you can access a video of how to get the console cover off to expose both the solenoid and the manual release that will allow you to shift out of park. It looks pretty easy all you need to is loosen about 6 bolts.

IF your problem is key stuck in ignition:

There is also a manual release for this underneath the steering column covering. I have been using this manual release for past 4 months to get the key out of the ignition. If you don't take key out ignition, you will not be able to get the key in OFF position, which will cause your battery to run down and die (this happened to me before I discovered that there was a manual release for the ignition key). There are one or two screws that hold lower steering column cover on. If you take them out, you can get the lower steering wheel column cover off and access the manual push plunger (manual release).

*** Note *** If you look at diagrams below, it is also possible that you problem is simply a blown RAP Fuse, but it's way more likely that the wiring to the Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Solenoid is your problem. I tried the RAP fuse replacement first for the IGNITION LOCK problem and the new fuse didn't fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, now let's talk about the PERMANENT FIX. So once you have access to the Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Solenoid (with Floor Shifter), there are two important wires to look for, green/white and purple/white. The green/white wire control the SHIFT LOCK problem and the purple/white wire controls the IGNITION LOCK problem. Currently, I am dealing with the IGNITION LOCK problem. Here is a helpful link to another post in this forum that talks about these wires in more detail:

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-8th-gen-discussion/334186-2009-impala-lt-stuck-in-park.html

What I would like to know is once I expose the Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Solenoid and see the purple/white wire, what should I be looking for? I imagine the wire has probably become loose and disconnected from the solenoid. What is the best fix for this? Is it simply a matter of pushing the purple wire back in there? My understanding is that these wires are moved along with the gear shifter, putting stress on the connections. That's probably why the connection failed. If that's the case, will I need to extend the wiring? How is that done? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2006 Impala SS Key stuck in ignition, shifter locked, airbag needs service...

Issue: Key stuck in the 'accessory' position and can not be removed. Shifter stuck in park and no solenoid release 'clunk' heard when stepping on brake pedal. Door locks do not work. Windows do not work. Remote control 'lock' does not work and flashes the 'security lock' light on dash when remote control lock button on remote is pressed. Key will not turn to 'Off' position, but will turn to 'Start' position. When turned to start position, engine will not crank and assorted warning lights on dash will flash. When turned towards 'Off' position, but not actually in the 'Off' position dash lights may be on as well as some assorted items like the CD player cycling. When key is turned from 'almost off' to 'accessory on' position, several error messages will flash on the led screen like, 'Airbag needs service', 'fuel low'..., but gauges will not actually work.

Solution: You have a blown 'BCM' (Body Control Module) fuse. The fuse is located under the hood next to the battery, and is mounted on the inside fender. Take the plastic cover off by pulling the two tabs out on the left and right side of the cover. The BCM fuse is located at the top left of the fuse panel and is a 10 amp fuse. I think it is the 2nd or 3rd fuse over, from the left.

If you wish, you may release the key lock manually by prying off the rubber pad just beneath the starter key, on the column. Using a flashlight, look into the narrow crack opening to the front of the access opening. Inside, towards the bottom of the opening you can see what looks like a lead pencil sized, silver button. Slide a flat head screwdriver into the crack and press the button in. Holding the button in, you will now be able to turn the ignition key to the off position and extract it.

You may also wish to manually release the Shifter from the Park position, which will at least allow you (with help) to push the car, if it is for example, blocking your drive, the street, or you want to push it into your garage. Here is how you do it. PUT THE PARK BRAKE ON!! Using a flat head screw driver, starting at the back of the shifter opening cover, pry the cover up, gently working your way to the front on both sides. There are small silver clips holding the cover in place. After the cover is removed, lay across the driver seat, facing the center console, on your stomach. Reach your left hand down into the shifter lever opening, in front of the shifter. Slide your left hand back, between the shifter mechanism and the passenger side of the console. You can use a flashlight to peer down into the opening between the passenger side of the console and the shifter mechanism. About 2/3rds back from the front of the opening, on the passenger side of the shifter mechanism, you will see what looks like a shiny silver, button, slightly larger than a pencil eraser. Depress the button with a finger on your left hand. It will move easily. That will release the shifter lockout button on the shifter handle and allow you to move the shifter from 'Park' position.

Of all the Impalas I have owned and loved, I dislike this one the most!!! It self destructs. I love driving this car, but seriously, EVERYTHING has gone wrong with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2006 Impala SS. The purchase of a new shift lock solenoid plug in the shifter (the purple and green wires were 'broken') and a replacement of the 10a RAP fuse did the trick.....now if I can just figure out why the front and rear power door locks on the driver side don't work after replacing the driver door switch (the rear driver worked prior to replacing the switch)!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts