Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is ridiculous :mad:. Yesterday it rained pretty hard here and there's some water on the road. My 08 LS (56k) ran over some water in my parking lot (trust me, not that much water at all) and suddenly power steering was lost!!! It did come back in 10 seconds but that's bad. This was in fact the second time it happened. The first time was the second day I got the car (about 1 month ago). At that time there's much more water and even the voltage light came on. So I am sure it's because some water got to the belt and it got slippery. But it shouldn't do that unless something's wrong. The belt feels pretty tight with my finger but I haven't checked in more details. I assume there's tensioner somewhere with tension marks?

Could it also be because one of the splash guards is missing? Those ones on the side (where the tire is) are intact. Is there one on the bottom?

Just out of curiosity, does powertran warranty cover steering system? Thank you very much!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I and my friend Glen have tried quite a lot of stuffs. Glen is a really good home mechanics but he totally has no idea now either.

The belt feels OK but Glen thinks it's on the loose side. When we put water on the belt with the car running, within 5 second, all the pulleys stop turning except the crankshaft, :mad: . All the pulleys turn fine with figures when the belt is off. We tried a new tensioner but it didn't help. The belt's great shape and we compared it with a new one, same size. The car actually has the PS pump replaced under warranty, under the previous owner's hands (a commercial lease company actually so there's no one I can talk to), according to carfax. So the only thing we can think of is that the dealer put a wrong PSP pulley onto it....

So what do you think, guys? Anybody could please tell me the diameter of the PSP pulley? Thank you very much. I am really scatching my head now.

The car also leaks coolant slightly probably (other thread) and I am going to have the dealer checked it out next Monday. It's probably a good idea to check the belt problem, huh? (I usually won't though since I am a DIYer...).

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think you should put a new belt on it, and put a GATES belt on no dayco crap. I know you said the old belt looks the same as the new belt, but there's probably smooth spots on the belt you can't see.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Where is the car leaking coolant at? If near where the belt runs then it has absorbed some of it and will slip when wet. Do as capricewiz said and just replace the belt.

These belts do not like oil or coolant on them.

If the coolant is what has caused this problem do have the leak fixed and then replace the belt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I coudln't tell where the coolant leaks at the moment. I will have the dealer checked it out Monday. It must be either minor or covered by powertrain, I think. So if it's the water pump, it will be the problem, huh?

Where is the car leaking coolant at? If near where the belt runs then it has absorbed some of it and will slip when wet. Do as capricewiz said and just replace the belt.

These belts do not like oil or coolant on them.

If the coolant is what has caused this problem do have the leak fixed and then replace the belt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I don't. Everything stock.

do you have a cold air intake.... that happens alot to be honest with u...

i just hope you didnt consume a lot of water in your motor... thats why i ask if you have a cold air intake and if so where is it mounted? some people run it under near their front bumper

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
When we put water on the belt with the car running, within 5 second, all the pulleys stop turning except the crankshaft, :mad:
do you have a cold air intake.... that happens alot to be honest with u...

i just hope you didnt consume a lot of water in your motor... thats why i ask if you have a cold air intake and if so where is it mounted? some people run it under near their front bumper
His engine has not ingested water for it runs fine. The engine does not stop only the belt for a few seconds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I will definitely keep you guys posted for whatever I find.

I saw something interesting yesterday actually. Yesterday morning, I decided to look for the coolant leak again myself. This time I started the engine and let it idled. Within 1 minute, I saw the coolant level in the reservoir starting going up (!!, the coolant temp on the dash hardly moved) and it continued doing so for a totally of about 2 inches until the coolant temp reached the middle, its regular temp on the highway. I think this was very different from what I know about the cooling system. I thought the pressure cap should keep the level in the reservoir constant until the pressure builds up to spec (18 psi in our case). Does it mean that my pressure cap is broken or this is a different system? The cap is not on the radiator anymore and it's thread type, at least, huh? Should I call it a radiator cap still, :wink:?

If the cap is broken, I can understand why it is loosing coolant. It's essentially running as an open system! If so, I am going to a new cap on and cancel the dealer appointment.

Now let's go back to the belt problem. I have ordered one Gates belt from rockauto. It should be here in two or three days. I also remembered that I did accidentally splash some coolant on the belt. It's not that much so I didn't mention it earlier. I hope the new belt does the trick.

Again thank you very much, guys. Please chime in if you have anything.

keep us in the loop after the dealer tells you what's leaking.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I dunno, I wouldn't change the cap just yet, I would still have someone look to see if there's a leak, cause you said you've been filling it up correct?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I have been adding coolant. But if the cap is bad, based on my understanding, the car would loose much more coolant than desired (without a real leak anywhere).

I dunno, I wouldn't change the cap just yet, I would still have someone look to see if there's a leak, cause you said you've been filling it up correct?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, it's the belt. I put on the Gates belt. It feels about as tight as the old one. But it didn't surrender even with lots of waterboarding, :biggrin:. So problem solved.

Now about the coolant leak. I didn't catch the appointment on Monday and the level appears quite stable in the last week or so. So now I decide to give it some more time...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, I changed my mind again for the coolant issue. I google gm 3.5L coolant and found some TSBs about coolant. So I will drop off the car and have the dealership check it out tomorrow.

How common is that? And head gasket leaks? Boy...

For example:

#08-06-01-012 - This is reference to cylinder head gasket leaks.

#07-06-02-006A - This is in reference to a leaking coolant crossover pipe gasket.

or here for 2006 Impala:

http://www.tsbdata.com/tsb/2006-chevrolet-impala-v6-3_5l-vin-k.html

·
Registered
557 Posts
isn't that bulletin for head gasket leaks for the 3.4L's? They had tons of problems. I haven't had too many problems with coolant leaks with the 3.5L But its a good idea to have it checked.

·
Registered
557 Posts
hmmm.... I wish I could see the car and see where its coming from. I hope its just the cross over pipe, since the other one requires headgaskets etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts