Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i dont feel like spending 300 bucks on a k and n intake. i do realize that the compiter is also located in the air box as is and if i buy the k and n it will have a spot for the comp. however i just feel like I can maybe make my own inatke and use some of the exisitng air box or something to that effect to hold the computer where it is. Does anyone have any strong feelings as to why this would be a bad idea or not. Any feedback is good feedback. Just looking for that added 10 hp and maybe a a deeper exhaust sound with my newish series 40 flowmaster muffler which is unique needless to say.

Thanks!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
You can pretty much forget about adding power with an intake, it doesn't happen in the real world. But they do sound cool. You can do whatever type you like, FWI (fenderwell intake) is the best. You can cut up an old airbox for the PCM, or you can get a PCM tray.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah, on a stock or near stock engine there aren't 10HP hiding in the air intake. You need to pull more air, (valve train) and evacuate more air (exhaust) and then the intake may yield a couple ponies. A new intake may sound better and look cool but it ends there.

There was an outfit online that sold these nice sealed boxes that would work if you insist on going ahead.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yeah, on a stock or near stock engine there aren't 10HP hiding in the air intake. You need to pull more air, (valve train) and evacuate more air (exhaust) and then the intake may yield a couple ponies. A new intake may sound better and look cool but it ends there.

There was an outfit online that sold these nice sealed boxes that would work if you insist on going ahead.
Agreed. An engine is basically a big air pump. You can pull all the air in you can but, if you can't exhaust it, that's your bottleneck.

But, a FWI will likely net better MPG as it's pulling in colder air and will sound much better. B/c it's pulling in colder air your engine will appreciate it big time. A homemade FWI intake can be made out of PVC very cheap. You will have to relocate the IAT (intake air temp sensor) into the pipe also. I would also recommend wrapping the pipe in a heat shield type material. This will keep the pipe and intake air cooler also.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i devised my own ram air type intake modification because i sure as hell wasnt going to spend 300+ dollars on some plastic parts that are guaranteed to decrease the weight in my wallet ONLY!

with some pvc pipe elboy i ducted air from the front bumper up into the air box which i opened up with a dremel. increased power? hardly. increased fuel mileage...? maybe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. Im thinking if I do anything maybe I will just design my own seems easy enough as long as its air tight.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I'm not trying to come off as a SMARTA$$ here, but that is a "short ram" intake AKA a "hot air intake". That is sucking in hot air from the engine bay. Just a few inches from your filter is an opening in the fender. If you run the filter through it with a block off plate covering the surrounded area creating a FWI (fender well intake), you may actually get minimal gains vs only noise and hot air from the short ram. With the short ram you will be getting the placebo effect from the noise of the intake. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i do know its acually ram that acually is a nuce open area though so i my try to punch out a hole for a fenderwell or something. also i will def build a heat sheild with a plexi glass top like the camaro i saw at a car show in fl looked really cool. anyways ill keep everyone updated. i still need to mount the computer though. right now its just being pressed down by the filter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This should work
This is acually like a huge deal to me thanks man! seriously! this forum is making me feel at home. makes me happy to have my impala when sometimes i question myself. love my freaking car man. wouldnt want it any other way.. except maybe stick and turbo. oh well lol

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is acually like a huge deal to me thanks man! seriously! this forum is making me feel at home. makes me happy to have my impala when sometimes i question myself. love my freaking car man. wouldnt want it any other way.. except maybe stick and turbo. oh well lol
you need to route outside cooler air to that intake. they sell ducting and tubing and such. route it out to the front of the car to make a scoop behind the grill. cheapest way to for a diy cold air intake.

granted it will only work at high speeds which are probably not attained on normal roads but this is the info that the things the manufacturers of the overpriced plastic "COLD AIR" intakes tend to leave out.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
read my above posts broski

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so latest is it looks a lot better i bought an elbow just need a peice of rubber to cover over onto the engine. Do do the elbow i was able to twist the intake way over to the side putting it right in front of and above my driver side tire. so its getting some okay air there and I will build a heat sheild for it for sure! last thing is to i think use the old air box and cut it down to it makes a tray for me to slide the computer into. ill take a pic tmrw if i remember.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
also just wanna add after i did some more fixing up on its shape and stuff today I ran out of wire length for the o2 sensor. so i unplugged it for now and let it go. then i waited for the check light and never got it. so im kind of sketched out right now... doesnt that seem weird i drove it about 5 miles a couple times today after and it never came on once its just unplugged... chillen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts