Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Impala ss. When I turn on the AC, the passenger side fan turns on. The other day my car was running a bit hot. The temp gauge went up past the middle to 3/4ths. I get home, open my hood and the driver side fan is not working. I'm guessing both fans should be on if it gets that hot. Now if I don't turn the AC on, eventually the driver side fan will turn on when it needs to. So, both fans do work, but not at the same time. I'm not sure what the problem is.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I have a 2009 Impala ss. When I turn on the AC, the passenger side fan turns on. The other day my car was running a bit hot. The temp gauge went up past the middle to 3/4ths. I get home, open my hood and the driver side fan is not working. I'm guessing both fans should be on if it gets that hot. Now if I don't turn the AC on, eventually the driver side fan will turn on when it needs to. So, both fans do work, but not at the same time. I'm not sure what the problem is.
The fans run at 3 speeds (+ off).
  • OFF
  • both at ¼ speed
  • passenger at full speed
  • both at full speed
Since you've seen them both running, I'm thinking this is a relay issue rather than a fan issue. There are three fan relays in the underhood fuse box.

I've attached a couple drawings - the factory schematic and one I re-drew. If there's a bad relay, from looking at the drawing, I'm thinking it's likely Fan Relay #3.

Note that #2 and #3 are both 5-pin (SPDT) relays while #1 need only be 4-pin (SPST). That is, if you swap relays around trying to test things, make sure #2 and #3 are 5-pin relays.

HTH.

Doug

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts