Impala Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 impala with a 3.4L engine, I noticed a wire running from the battery to the inside connected to a switch that turns on the fan. I checked the fans connector and there's no current when I turn the key on. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
588 Posts
So you asking about the power from the Switch going to your fans? Or you talking about the normal connection to your fans they bypassed?

There are fuses and Relays that make the Fans work. There should be a high an low speed. In my 00 I have 2 fuses adn 3 relays. For a little while I had an issue and it came out to be an issue with the ground next to the drivers side head light. However I tested the relays and the fuses all came out to being good so after checking the ground found it had bad connection...

IF you are talking about the switch in the car to turn on your fans that sounds like someone that may have had an over heating issue and ran its own supply of power. Even from a switch I hope they ran a relay and they do take some good amount of power.

First, If you have a Test light or a DMM lets check the fuses for the fans... Should be in the Bottom fuse box under the hood next to the battery. Open it and should have a Fan 1 and Fan 2 Fuse. Test them. IF they both are ok then lets try and make the fans come on by the Relay... Remove Relay Cool Fan 1. Take a Jumper wire and run it across C8 and B10. Should be labeled as such on the Relay. Once you do this the Fans should turn on speed low.
If that don't turn on your Fans. Remove jumper for a moment, Go to the Right side fan and unplug it from the fan. Make the connection back at the Relay between C8 and B10 again. With a Meter or test light test the connector for the fan. It should show the volts of 12v.

There are a few wiring connectors around the headlight area for the fans that could be broken or with bad connection as well if the last test didn't give you 12v or better... Or if it was under 12v like 5 or 8v kind of thing.

James

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.