Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAVE to do a rack and pinion today on my 06 Chevy Impala. GM says the steering wheel has to be centered using a pin. IF you don't have or can't get the pin is there any alternative to keep the steering column centered or other method so clockspring don't potentially become damaged. I can't find a pin today and need to get the job done today if possible to keep from having to wait till next weekend for shop access. THANKS in advance! ALSO any extra advice would be helpful to. I'LL have the sway bar out as it's getting replaced also from breaking on tab on right side.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
HAVE to do a rack and pinion today on my 06 Chevy Impala. GM says the steering wheel has to be centered using a pin. IF you don't have or can't get the pin is there any alternative to keep the steering column centered or other method so clockspring don't potentially become damaged. I can't find a pin today and need to get the job done today if possible to keep from having to wait till next weekend for shop access. THANKS in advance! ALSO any extra advice would be helpful to. I'LL have the sway bar out as it's getting replaced also from breaking on tab on right side.
Just tie a rope from the bottom of the wheel to the seat frame. The column doesn't need to be locked - a little play is fine. The only time it becomes a problem is if you turn the wheel a full turn and lose track of where it started. BTW, make sure you have the front wheels straight ahead before you start.

Doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts