Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2014 limited and plan to do many modifications over the coarse of its life. The first thing I would like to do is to install a cold air intake. I have seen many people on the site use the K&N system and I am likely going to do the same. My questions are

-Is there a better option/cheaper/better performance?

-How easy is the install. I see that the battery is supposed to be disconnected, did anyone have any issues getting locked out of their vehicles system?

-should I also be changing out anything else with the intake such as the Mass flow sensor?

Thanks for any responses

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't bother with those mods. Only cause issues down the road.
Best and only bet along with bang for the buck for these 3.6 engines
is a PCM burn/relearn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
^^Agreed! Not needed and not worth it! Not only will it most likely not increase power, but it will let more dirt into the engine (less filtration = more dirt being let in!).

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
lols. dont get me started jtrosky!

·
Registered
353 Posts
TonyJ,

The LFX engine responds very well to modifications.

Except when you add a tuner, always unplug the negative battery terminal.

For the CAI, look at Overkill ASI (especially if you want to upgrade thetube size (3" to 3.5")), Overkill have a custom tune for thatupgrade. The K&N CAI is perfect, and does create power to the wheels (evenmore if it's combining with the Magnaflow exhaust), Trifecta (which I have) isperfect (and data-log is possible with the regional technician and/or theheadquarters) and will self-adjust to the fuel (87 to 98 and E85). Make sureyour tuner will include the 9C1/9C3 transmission shift points.

JacFab Spacer ¾” spacer gives you mid to high end HP and TQ

Overkill 80mm TB would also nicely tie everything together.

Good luck and don’t be shy to ask questions.

http://www.impalaforums.com/8th-gen-engine-performance/1031626-my2013-dyno-power-gains-sharing.html

http://www.impalaforums.com/8th-gen...lfx-jacfab-3-4-intake-spacer-dyno-tested.html

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
lols. dont get me started jtrosky!
Hey - just stating my opinion!! Obviously, I'm not the only one with that opinion though (see post above mine)! :)

I should slightly modify my response though - I should say that it won't make any *noticeable* improvement for most people - especially without a custom tune to help take advantage of increased air flow.

Still stand by my "less filtration = more dirt" statement though! :)

In my opinion, unless you are racing the car or timing it at the track, something like a CAI is not going to make a noticeable difference when using the car as a daily driver - and not worth the increased dirt that they allow to get into the engine.

Again, just my opinion - everyone has one! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate everyone's responses, and opinions. I have seen a lot of debate over the topic of K&N CAI, and right now I am kind of on the fence. I plan to do some more research before coming to a decision, but regardless I do want to increase the responsiveness .

Also, what exactly would a PCM burn/relearn do for my vehicle?

This is my daily driver and even though I don't always use the available power in the car, I like knowing it is there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey - just stating my opinion!! Obviously, I'm not the only one with that opinion though (see post above mine)! :)

I should slightly modify my response though - I should say that it won't make any *noticeable* improvement for most people - especially without a custom tune to help take advantage of increased air flow.

Still stand by my "less filtration = more dirt" statement though! :)

In my opinion, unless you are racing the car or timing it at the track, something like a CAI is not going to make a noticeable difference when using the car as a daily driver - and not worth the increased dirt that they allow to get into the engine.

Again, just my opinion - everyone has one! :)

More dirt from a K&N ... yes, but ..

A new, out of the box, K&N filters just fine. Does it allow more "dirt" on Day 1? .. yes, but that is negligible. K&N Filters actually do a better job when they are dirty, obviously up to the point where they are just too dirty and start to restrict flow. Under the normal every day driving conditions that most people would fall under, the filter should easily get 40-50k miles before needing serviced.

Most of your K&N problems come from owners that can't follow the directions for maintenance. "Too much dirt from a K&N" comes from the owners that insist on cleaning and re-oiling the filter every oil change or so. The more you wash them, the more the cotton element that the filter is made of, breaks down, thus allowing larger "holes" for the dirt to get through. MAF sensor issues come from over-oiling, etc.

I do have personal experience with K&N aside from selling the brand for about 15 years now. I put one in my '99 Grand Am (bought '02), transferred it to my '04 Grand Am (bought '07) and it was still in there when I sold the car for the Impala. This filter easily had 125K miles on it, with ZERO problems on either car.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I agree with a lot of this /\. I believe the issues come from owners who improperly over oil air filters. I have been using drop k&n filters in a variety of vehicles for more than two decades with no issues. I don't believe they gave me any improved performance, but rather, I like not having to buy disposable filters because of the cost and convenience savings. With respect to a cold air intake, the only vehicle I have ever had one on is my Lincoln. That is a twin turbo though, and there seems to be more argument that more air helps turbos. I honestly don't know if it helps at all. I know it doesn't negatively affect my performance. I would follow the advice here and go with an overkill tune and perhaps k&n drop in filter for the reasons I use them..... not for any expected performance gains.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My recommendation is a K&N drop in filter for about $60 and modify the airbox to allow better airflow. Just cut off the front of the airbox cover. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everyone's reply's. Upon further consideration I will most likely be passing on the CAI upgrade, but I am more interested in an Overkill Tune.

I went through the Overkill website and was wondering what the difference is between the Standard HP tuner and the Pro version. Is pro actually worth the extra 150$?

Also, has anyone here had any problems with an Overkill tune?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I love my Overkill tune. :)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
No issues here with mine. The differences as far as I know is the pro can integrate 0-5v signals from various sensors such as wide band and fuel pressure right into the scanner. Also has a black box data logging allowing data logging on select vehicles for up to an hour and a half.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just installed the Overkill 3.5" intake and an Overkill tune a few days ago on my 2013 LTZ and I absolutely love it. The car accelerates much better now, the transmission shifts more smoothly with less clunk than before, and man does that intake make a mean sound when I get on the throttle a little bit!

I would highly recommend both products at this point. I have been extremely satisfied so far, and don't see that changing anytime soon!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts