Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I've been doing mods to "Papa SSmirf" as I guess I can now call it, I've been starting to look at doing some lights for it. And I'm definitely in favor of the blue, but don't really want the HID's.

I was going to get the SilverStar bulbs for it, but was disappointed when I found out that I could only get the H11's and not the H9's. So that killed that idea. But in doing some searching the other day, I came across these:

H11's: 2007 CHEVROLET IMPALA Putco Pure Halogen Bulbs 230011NB - SummitRacing.com

H9's: 2007 CHEVROLET IMPALA Putco Pure Halogen Bulbs 230009NB - SummitRacing.com

Anyone have any insight on these, or any recommendations for blue ones without going HID's??? I really don't wanna have to go and get all new headlights, then modify them to get them wired up... I want to keep it simple as possible...

As for the corner/marker bulbs, I am currently using the (apparently now older and discontinued :bang::gaah::WTF:...) SilverStar 3157A/4157A ST bulbs - which have a blue w/slight orange mirrored look when not lit, but are orange/amber when lit. Andfor the outer markers, I am using an LED 194, but I'm finding that the SilverStar 3157A's I'm using have way more color and are brighter in comparison... Any recommendations for a better and brighter 194 to better match the 3157A ST's?

I'll try and get some pics either tomorrow morning or tomorrow evening, so you can see the difference in the light and color intensity...

Any insight on this subject will help and be appreciated. Thanks fellas!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
those style headlights are white with a hint of yellow. If your after the blue look, hid will be the only option I can think of. They can be installed in less that 15 minutes and are brighter. Hids can be found for the same price too

·
Banned
667 Posts
So now that I've been doing mods to "Papa SSmirf" as I guess I can now call it, I've been starting to look at doing some lights for it. And I'm definitely in favor of the blue, but don't really want the HID's.

I was going to get the SilverStar bulbs for it, but was disappointed when I found out that I could only get the H11's and not the H9's. So that killed that idea. But in doing some searching the other day, I came across these:

H11's: 2007 CHEVROLET IMPALA Putco Pure Halogen Bulbs 230011NB - SummitRacing.com

H9's: 2007 CHEVROLET IMPALA Putco Pure Halogen Bulbs 230009NB - SummitRacing.com

Anyone have any insight on these, or any recommendations for blue ones without going HID's??? I really don't wanna have to go and get all new headlights, then modify them to get them wired up... I want to keep it simple as possible...

As for the corner/marker bulbs, I am currently using the (apparently now older and discontinued :bang::gaah::WTF:...) SilverStar 3157A/4157A ST bulbs - which have a blue w/slight orange mirrored look when not lit, but are orange/amber when lit. Andfor the outer markers, I am using an LED 194, but I'm finding that the SilverStar 3157A's I'm using have way more color and are brighter in comparison... Any recommendations for a better and brighter 194 to better match the 3157A ST's?

I'll try and get some pics either tomorrow morning or tomorrow evening, so you can see the difference in the light and color intensity...

Any insight on this subject will help and be appreciated. Thanks fellas!
5,000k or 6,000k halogen

Stock headlights

50 watt Sylvania 3100k aka stock OEM type (passenger side fog light)

38w(37.5w) generic halogen 5000k(claimed by the seller) driver side fog light

Attachments

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Get some 6000k HIDs. Seriously. They will blow away any halogen bulb in terms of output, and can be had for the same price as silverstars. Plus, you already have projectors, so you won't be blinding people.

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get some 6000k HIDs. Seriously. They will blow away any halogen bulb in terms of output, and can be had for the same price as silverstars. Plus, you already have projectors, so you won't be blinding people.
The funny thing is, the headlights I have aren't projectors, they're regular stock style headlights just black. So I guess I would be blinding people :lol:.

My whole thing is how the hell do these get wired up then? SCOTTYINWV was saying that I'd have to mod the caps on the back of the headlight assembly to be able to run the wires in and out of the headlight to the ballast. I think it's kinda burnt how I'd have to plug the ballasts into the regular headlight wire, yet have the ballasts outside and behind the headlight assembly, then run the wire back into the headlight assembly for the HID bulb...

Now I know that there's plenty of space I could mount the ballasts for both - or all 3 ballasts (low & high beam and fog lights...), but is there enough wire length to mount the ballasts behind the headlight assembly and still be able to pull the headlight assembly out if needed? Can anyone post any pics of how/where they've got their ballasts on their cars? I guess I'm not seeing something as to how these would all wire up and what not... :dunno::WTF:

And needless to say, I was really hoping to avoid having to get a set of projector headlights. I really don't want to spend $200 or more on them, as I need that money towards tires and other mods. :bang:

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Thought you had projectors! must have been someone else... lol

The reason that you would modify the light caps would be to fit the grommet in. I just left my caps off, and have had no problems. Thats not to say that you won't have problems, because those aftermarket lights are known to have condensation, but I (and my friends who have done it the same way) have never had any problems.

Edit: In terms of mounting the ballasts, I use a combination of double-sided foam tape and zip ties. Just find a secure place to stick the ballast, and then zip-tie it. fenderwell works. So does underneath the headlight. I just unplug the bulbs from the ballasts when I remove the headlights.

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought you had projectors! must have been someone else... lol

The reason that you would modify the light caps would be to fit the grommet in. I just left my caps off, and have had no problems. Thats not to say that you won't have problems, because those aftermarket lights are known to have condensation, but I (and my friends who have done it the same way) have never had any problems.

Edit: In terms of mounting the ballasts, I use a combination of double-sided foam tape and zip ties. Just find a secure place to stick the ballast, and then zip-tie it. fenderwell works. So does underneath the headlight. I just unplug the bulbs from the ballasts when I remove the headlights.
Unplug the output wire from the ballasts to the bulbs? But on mine (the 8th Gen...), the wire that would plug into the ballast is INSIDE the headlight assembly. So is there enough wire to run to and from the ballasts???

And as for modifying the caps, I was thinking on cutting a small enough hole at the bottom to run the wires in and out of, and still be able to keep the caps on. This was what I was afraid of in trying to attempt doing these with a normal set of headlights... :bang::gaah:

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Are the stock caps interchangeable? If they are just modify one set.

I just unplug the ballast from that connector (the one inside) and also the light to the ballast. Then just take it out and leave the ballast in

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Are the stock caps interchangeable? If they are just modify one set.

I just unplug the ballast from that connector (the one inside) and also the light to the ballast. Then just take it out and leave the ballast in
I believe they are and seem to be... I'll have to dig the stock set out and check them to the new set and be sure. I'm also going to inquire with my buddy. His dad has a shop that does and sells the ballasts and stuff. I'll see if he can get me the 6000's for all 3, and see what kind of wire length they've got for in and out.

So I'm looking at roughly $30 per set (left & right...), and about $90 - $100 for all 3 sets? And these ballasts come with the bulbs right?

EDIT: From what I'm seeing, most of the ballasts either have the headlight plug built into the side of the ballast box, or have a really short wire coming off them. I can say that I don't think it's enough to be able to mount the ballasts to the fenderwell to connect to the main bulb plug... Why am I getting the feeling that this is going to be a project that's more of a nightmare than I really want to be attempting???

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Naw there's another wire that runs with the headlights that connects the ballast to where the headlight plugs in

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Honestly it is one of the easies mods a person can do. It only takes 30 min max to install, that is including removing the headlight, plugging everything in, mounting the ballasts and putting back together. It is just as easy as changing a light bulb

Reactions: RYD SLO

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
The wire length doesnt matter they come with olenty for you to plenty so you can mount them.where you want. Its really hard to fuck it up man. Just get them and install thats it. Its not rocket science just plug and play. Dont over think it bro.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
x2, don't over think it.

H.I.D's not set up properly = Hello.I'm a Dickhead :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Simple install video:

Reactions: LazerBlue07SS

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
x2, don't over think it.

H.I.D's without projectors = Hello.I'm a Dickhead :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Simple install video:
How to Install HIDs - YouTube
Fixed!

So I guess I'm gonna wind up being one of those that blatantly say "Hello, I'm a Dickhead" then. :giggle: I'm sure I'll wind up getting a set of projectors at some point, just not right now - especially after I JUST bought these black ones.

And @ imandy, I'm going to check out that write up now. Thanks guys. I'm sure it's easier than I'm making it out to be. I know it's just a matter of unplugging and plugging in a few sets of wires and mounting the ballasts somewhere behind the headlight assemblies, but it was the whole thing of modifying the headlights to do it that had me concerned.

Now if I could only find a set of 194's for the outside corner marker lights that's brighter and has a little more color to them...

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
So long as you aim your lights down a bit farther than you normally would, you'll be fine. Haven't been flashed once.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I never was flashed with my stockers and hids

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
The problem comes from people who fail to aim their headlights. I get blinded far more by people using their stock highbeams than those with HIDs in stock housings.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts