Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i wanna wash my 09 impala engine,

i will unplug the battery and wash it by water and leave it for the second day and then plug the battery

is this will do any thing wrong to my car ?

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
yes.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Don't unplug the battery, just wash the damn thing, it's not the 60's anymore.

·
SadiStic Impala
2,457 Posts
Yeah, your fine. I sprayed degreaser on everything. washed it off. Works fine. Just make sure.you get it all off.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
I used Old Spice high endurance body wash.. Makes the engine smell purdy..

·
Registered
58 Posts
now i maybe wrong on this so wait until you get more info on this but i grew up with this....drive and get the engine hot but not too hot. drive to a self wash car wash or use a pressure washer... put on a engine degrease and then pressure wash it off. i have never disconnect the bat. and i would think as long as you stay away from the intake and keep direct spray away from fragile areas you would have a clean engine in no time

·
Registered
158 Posts
Eh, to toss in another opinion - always have washed the engine cold. Been pleasantly surprised with the use of tire Bleche-Wite, somewhat disappointed with engine degreaser in that it removes the grease but leaves the dirt. Hose everything down, then use compressed air to chase the puddles of water. Let air dry for a couple of hours, then fire it up with the hood open and let heat to operating temperatures to chase the rest of the moisture off.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If you let it run more than a couple minutes, the cleaner burns off as soon as you spray it.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I have had nothing but bad luck washing engines. So, I have not done it it 15 years. I simply wipe down with Simple Green and washcloths.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
I'm just too much of a pussy to try it....it just seems like it's got nowhere to go but wrong for me, I could never see a way of keeping water spray from the alt, and coilpacks etc....can't bring myself to give it a whirl...I agree with TSS, some wipes and some time is all I'm willing to do..

·
I'm Impy and I know it
190 Posts
I just washed mine two days ago and it came out great. I used Black Magic degreaser and didn't use any water. Sprayed it, let it sit for a bit and then wiped it down. But for the hard to reach areas, which there are more of those than anything else, every mechanic I've talked to has said not to spray with any hard stream of water but try and pour water on the parts you are cleaning. Ofcourse you need to cover all essentials such as coil packs and alternator ECT.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
All the electrical connectors are sealed, are you guys afraid to drive in the rain too? I have done it a thousand times with no problems, I don't avoid spraying anything.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
do you drive in the rain with the hood removed?

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
do you drive in the rain with the hood removed?
.....in a highpressured downpour no less.

It is nothing like driving in the rain. Nothing. The engine compartment and mechanicals are obviously water resistant, but I am concerned about it all being waterproof. Big difference. Wimpy and I are sticking with being pu**ies.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
:lol: nice choice of shortening my SN for the purposes of that post! I like.

·
I'm Impy and I know it
190 Posts
Not to mention that under the hood of any 1978 vehicle in comparison to a vehicle nowadays is completely different. Back in the day you could fix your vehicle with a bag of tools, now you have to hook a laptop up to it to have it fixed. There are a lot more electronics which increases the risk when spraying the engine compartment. I completely agree with Wimpy and TSS. One of those better to be safe then sorry thingys

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts

This is how I roll, first vid spraying degreaser. Second vid is the rinse, needed the break to get the hose...

·
I'm Impy and I know it
190 Posts
Not to be a dick, but it would have been a bit comical if your engine wouldn't have started ha. Touché on the video though.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts