Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body heard of replacing a LT1 with a LS3 and can i get ur opinions on being a good choice or bad choice?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
well seing as how the ls3 has 463 + horses id say its a good idea ..... if u wanna fork out the money to buy the wrecked corvette ( or just motor 0 to do the swap !!!!!

but i say go for it if u can!!!! :eek::biggrin: dont let anyone talk u outta a sick 6th gen i havent seen one w/ an ls3 yet ( but i havent looked ):cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
An LS swap into an LT1 car has been done a number of times and is more involved than you seem to realize.

The bellhousing boltpattern is the same but the DEPTH is different. Probably going to want to get an LS tranny and have it built.

Your results will depend on the quality of decisions you make. MY POS LT1 taxi has smoked a few sprayed LS f-bodies.

Of course if bragging rights is all you are after you have the right plan.

The LS stuff is great but for the cost of dropping it into an LT1 car you could do a lot with the LT1.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Ive got a few buddys w/ LT1/LS1s and a few who ahve gone LT1->LSx, ya its a pita... Long term though IMP the LQ4 would be a better paltform than LT1/LS3... Plus theres the whole OBD issue, If you start to get into this, LMK, I'll get the info where my buddy got his P&P harness from (LT1->LQ4 Fbody)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I know it will bolt up to the tranny but do you know if i will have to change mounting brackets?
lol,if u want to blow up your stock trans within a coupl hundred miles then stay stock ...... these trans are pos bedhind an lt1 let alone + 250 more horses!!!!!!

so yeah u would want to change ur trans ...... ^ theres alot of good info here already

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
The 4L60E is fine in COMPETENT hands, it gets a bad rap because of incompetent builders.

My car is easily over 460fwhp, tranny is over 5 years old and is nothing fancy, stock servos stock sunshell, lots of stock stuff, just well setup.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The 4L60E is fine in COMPETENT hands, it gets a bad rap because of incompetent builders.

My car is easily over 460fwhp, tranny is over 5 years old and is nothing fancy, stock servos stock sunshell, lots of stock stuff, just well setup.
im just saying y spend all that money and have ur tranny shit on u??? might as well get a sick built one or use what came w/ it......

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
LS3 is a Vette engine right? I thought the Vette used a transaxle, good luck getting that under the Impala.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts