Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm about to return from Iraq and ready to start a project. I'm torn and need advice. I want a SS but I really like the bench seat and the gear shifter on the column found on a regular impala. On the other hand, I can't stand the mold of a regular impala, and love the SS trim. I think I'd be better off buying an SS and trying to convert it the way I want (if possible?). But at the same time it seems ignorant and costly when I figure I could just clone a SS. Any advice?

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my opinion...

Alright, I'm about to return from Iraq and ready to start a project. I'm torn and need advice. I want a SS but I really like the bench seat and the gear shifter on the column found on a regular impala. On the other hand, I can't stand the mold of a regular impala, and love the SS trim. I think I'd be better off buying an SS and trying to convert it the way I want (if possible?). But at the same time it seems ignorant and costly when I figure I could just clone a SS. Any advice?
I'd go for the regular and just update the parts you want. You're going to pay 40% more up front for the SS. Also - you'll essentially be depreciating the SS if you make changes to it but you'd be appreciating the regular HT if you make positive changes.

For the record, I have a 64 HT with the small block and an automatic.

Thanks for serving our country.

- Aaron
Indianapolis, IN

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get The Best Non# Matching SS You Can

Thanks for serving our country!

Get the car with the options you and look you want. Don't pay for or sacrifice a numbers matching SS, but improve a slightly lesser non matching SS and make it work for you. My 64 SS doesn't have it's original hi-po 327, but it had and has a 4-speed, factory tach, PS, PB, and air. I'm putting in a killer A/V system and setting it up for freeway cruising. The absence of the factory engine means I can contemplate choosing between a LSX454 (with a little patience) or a GMPP 502, one or the other with a Tremec 6-speed behind it. I wouldn't feel I had those options starting with a numbers-matching car.

Besides, you can buy a nice SS today for less dollars than 2 or 3 yrs ago. You'll be into this car for years, so get what you really want, do what you want to do, and don't worry about what others think.

And, once again, thanks for serving our country.
Let me know what you end up getting.

EastBayBob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts