Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone ,

Need to get your opinion or comments as I have a 2006 Chevy Impala with the 3.5 Flex Fuel and 106,000 miles. I discovered my tie rod end links were in need of replacement and I was unable to unstick the tie rod link so I took it to the Chevrolet shop to have them replace with OEM parts which they did no complaint . They also charged me for the two front end links as they stated the left side was supposed to be on the right side (made no sense to me as they are both identical) they also charged me as the shocks and strut I had recently installed the two bolts which are the exact same size and again are identical had to be pushed out as the top bolt goes to the bottom hole and the bolt I had in the bottom belonged in the top . These were expensive add ons to my bill , which has left me very skeptical for using them for any future work. They also said that the rear struts and shocks which are FCS and were the same brand as the ones that were on the vehicle before being replaced , would need to have the three bolt holes slotted out ( ground out just a small amount ) so they could slide the struts and shocks over to provide proper camber to the rear before alignment which the charge would be $324 . One last thing the guy said that my intermediate drive shaft or steering shaft needs to be replaced as it sounds like it is going out. I honestly don't hear anything and not even sure what I need to look for regarding such an issue. I am going to take it to someone else for a second opinion but my main question has anyone else had to slot the bolt holes for their shocks and struts to get proper alignment. Sorry for the long War and Peace detail but wanted to make sure I gave as much detail as I could.
Thanks again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly, as that disappointed me as I was wanting them to be a reliable resource for future service needs on this car , but my trust or confidence in them is just not there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Never ever take your car to a dealership! THE GIMMICK is to always up-sale! Try and find a local reliable shop or talk to gear heads. They'll always recommend someone they trust or at least decent

·
Registered
102 Posts
Exactly, as that disappointed me as I was wanting them to be a reliable resource for future service needs on this car , but my trust or confidence in them is just not there.
Sorry to say 5hey gave you the business... Tie rods end links are identical on either side. Bolt on top that belongs on the bottom? You should report them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The rear alignment bolt kits are available at any shop that does 4 wheel alignment service. I'd say that most of the 8th gen Impalas have them, or need them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Sheila, Nyccooldude, and 1954 Chevy as it is great to have this forum and members who are able to provide great support and information. I love this Impala as it was one I inherited back in 2014 from an Aunt who passed. When I got it the mileage was less than 22,000 miles. I cannot tell you how many people keep telling me to trade it in and get a newer vehicle , but I actually enjoy not having a car payment and do not see the need to just move onto a newer car at this time. I know the transmission is an issue with these vehicles but since owning it I have tried to do a pan drop with filter change every 20,000 to 25,000 miles and I am a gentle driver on 90% of my use of the car but prepared savings for transmission work when it is needed. 1954 Chevy you mentioned alignment bolt kits for the 8th gen impalas so I am guessing there is some adjustment to the rear bolt area that is needed. I will check into that and get that taken care.

Thanks again for all your responses! Mctmatt

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yep,if you take the car in for an alignment, the shop will tell you if it needs the offset bolt kit to correct the rear alignment. I had it done to our '08 Impala, which we no longer own. They only charged for the bolt kit, no extra labor above the charge for the alignment, that I remember. As for the intermediate steering shaft, some symptoms would be a bit of shaking in the steering wheel when hitting a bump, or pothole. Also, maybe a squeak or groan when turning at slow speeds

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep,if you take the car in for an alignment, the shop will tell you if it needs the offset bolt kit to correct the rear alignment. I had it done to our '08 Impala, which we no longer own. They only charged for the bolt kit, no extra labor above the charge for the alignment, that I remember. As for the intermediate steering shaft, some symptoms would be a bit of shaking in the steering wheel when hitting a bump, or pothole. Also, maybe a squeak or groan when turning at slow speeds
Thanks so much for the information 1954 Chevy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone ,

Need to get your opinion or comments as I have a 2006 Chevy Impala with the 3.5 Flex Fuel and 106,000 miles. I discovered my tie rod end links were in need of replacement and I was unable to unstick the tie rod link so I took it to the Chevrolet shop to have them replace with OEM parts which they did no complaint . They also charged me for the two front end links as they stated the left side was supposed to be on the right side (made no sense to me as they are both identical) they also charged me as the shocks and strut I had recently installed the two bolts which are the exact same size and again are identical had to be pushed out as the top bolt goes to the bottom hole and the bolt I had in the bottom belonged in the top . These were expensive add ons to my bill , which has left me very skeptical for using them for any future work. They also said that the rear struts and shocks which are FCS and were the same brand as the ones that were on the vehicle before being replaced , would need to have the three bolt holes slotted out ( ground out just a small amount ) so they could slide the struts and shocks over to provide proper camber to the rear before alignment which the charge would be $324 . One last thing the guy said that my intermediate drive shaft or steering shaft needs to be replaced as it sounds like it is going out. I honestly don't hear anything and not even sure what I need to look for regarding such an issue. I am going to take it to someone else for a second opinion but my main question has anyone else had to slot the bolt holes for their shocks and struts to get proper alignment. Sorry for the long War and Peace detail but wanted to make sure I gave as much detail as I could.
Thanks again
It is illegal to do repairs before custimer approval much less not discussing it at all. I would get a second professoonal opinion from GM then file a BB complaint AND get help from your local Ombudsman office.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts