Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put my 2007 Impala SS wheels and tires on my son's 2002 Impala for a while. I think I've seen this discussed before, but my searches were for nought.

I've mounted one of the wheels on his car, and so far it fits. It's kinda tight between the inside tire shoulder and the bottom of the lower spring seat on the strut, but otherwise it seems to fit OK. There is only about 3/8" of clearance, but since the wheel and strut move together, the clearance should be maintained.

Checking further, I steered it lock-to-lock with no interference, but that was with it up on a jack stand (ie, with the strut fully extended).

So, before I drive it and possibly rub a tire, can folks here familiar with this please share their experiences? Thanks :)

Doug

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
You will be fine putting 8th generation 18 in rims on the seventh generation. Lots of guys have done it. It looks great.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will be fine putting 8th generation 18 in rims on the seventh generation. Lots of guys have done it. It looks great.
I just took it for a test drive. I have Nitto Motivo 235/50's on the wheels. There was little clearance between the tire and the strut. But I guess it was enough. As for side-to-side clearance, I turned the wheels all they way to lock thru a couple of slow turns and never heard or felt any rubbing, so I think they'll work.

That said, I put the old, worn tire back on. Whatever is causing the right front to wear needs to be fixed before I put my good tires on there :)

Seriously, my son had a fender-bender a while back. We pulled out the sheet metal, but I suspect he knocked the alignment out. I inspected it today. All I could find was a bad inner tie rod on the driver's side. Otherwise, the front end parts all seem in good working order, altho the rubber boot is shot on the driver's side ball joint, but the ball joint itself seems to be fine otherwise - it didn't budge a bit when I was prying on it during the inspection.

The front brakes are shot - one pad had less than 1/16" left ! And the rear struts are gone as well. Lastly, I think it needs a timing chain, too.

I'll do the front brakes right away, before the rotors get chewed up, and order the rest of the parts. I think I can do all the other repairs over the Christmas break.

Doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts