Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Chevy Impala 3.8 v6. I have only had the car since thanksgiving and haven't had any problems with it until this past week. I’ve notice if I’m sitting in the car while it’s in park but the engines running for more than 5 minutes the temperature gauge needle would move to the middle it’s never gone higher than that but it seems as thought it was over heating but as soon as you drive the needle goes all the way back down to the bottom and stay’s there until you park. There’s no smoke coming from the engine but I can smell what I think is antifreeze. I checked the coolant level, which was fine, and the oil level is fine. Then while I was driving I heard a noise at first it was faint then I put my window down and heard it louder. As I was looking for some place to stop and look under the hood it stopped and I drove home with no noise.
Then this morning I start the car and it's a load noise like a ticking/knocking and the cars vibrating my check engine light goes on so does my check tire pressure light? I carefully drive to advance auto but their tool to check engines was broke but a man working on his car said it might be the oil is dirt to change the oil and add Lucas .I was driving back home when the noise and shaking/vibrating disappears and it drives normal again? I will admit I haven’t had the oil changed since I bought it but that’s only because I hadn’t put nowhere near 3,000 miles on it. Do you think it’s because the oils dirty and me not having it changed might be the issue? Thank you again in advance I posted a question yesterday but wanted more advice.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
have your intake gasket checked. very typical of the 3.8 to need an intake gasket. the reason your tempo gauge goes down when your driving is that youve got air running over the radiator which cools the temp back down. you dotn state how many miles, but i assume its high. your oil could be old and need changing, however i dont think thats the main reason you have these issues. take it to a service center to be diagnosed. let the professionals do what they do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts