Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Why wouldn't Mobil 1, Valvoline and Castrol accept this Challenge:confused:.
They hope no one notices that they would have lost the challenge? Remember the slogan: '"No see, no hear, no speak" means no problem?' If they accepted and their results are lower than QS then they would loose customers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They hope no one notices that they would have lost the challenge? Remember the slogan: '"No see, no hear, no speak" means no problem?' If they accepted and their results are lower than QS then they would loose customers.
Goes to show that some pay for the name. I have used QS for years and at Wally World I get 5qts for $18.00 not bad for the company who had the balls to want to Challenge the others claims about wear and so on.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i run RP, i wonder how they would stand up against each other...
probably just as well as any other synthetic. However RP IIRC was bought by BP and now they have to start backing their claims with actual testing and not customer "testimonials"

Royal Purple is decent oil, but way overpriced.

Who cares about marketing challenges. You can easily form a challenge to let your oil choice win.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Since we’re talking about oil and oil prices, I was at Wal-Mart picking up some oil for my work truck. And noticed that Wal-Mart has their own Synthetic store brand.
Anyone here tried it yet?

For the price difference I’m wondering if this might be worthwhile, for the truck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hiding something from Joe Customer

probably just as well as any other synthetic. However RP IIRC was bought by BP and now they have to start backing their claims with actual testing and not customer "testimonials"

Royal Purple is decent oil, but way overpriced.

Who cares about marketing challenges. You can easily form a challenge to let your oil choice win.
Thats not what the ad said. A challenge is a challenge where I come from. So what I wanted to state with this post is QSS had made a Challenge and got no takers. We can come up with all the what if's and this and that, but the fact is no one took the challenge. WHY are they hiding something from Joe Customer:eek:. We the consumer would have benifited by this challenge:biggrin:.

·
Banned
351 Posts
I for 1 found this info useful in my recent oil purchase.... That and the fact that 5 qts of Q Horsepower and Mobile 1 Filter for 24.99 is a hard deal to pass up.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thats not what the ad said. A challenge is a challenge where I come from. So what I wanted to state with this post is QSS had made a Challenge and got no takers. We can come up with all the what if's and this and that, but the fact is no one took the challenge. WHY are they hiding something from Joe Customer:eek:. We the consumer would have benifited by this challenge:biggrin:.

again because the challenger will just make their oil come out on top. You want to look for independent lab tests.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The following is a quote from the first link:
http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS227094+31-Mar-2009+PRN20090331

"The challenge called for a respected, third-party applied research and
development organization to conduct a one-time, independent ASTM Sequence IVA test
for each motor oil identified by the noted brands. Competitors had been
given until Friday, March 27 at 5 p.m. EDT to respond to the proposal. Had a
competitor chosen to participate, the wear results of the test would have been
released to the public."

They are asking for a third party whom would be neutral to conduct the test. Now how would that make the test bias towards QS?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Can't recall where it was, but I read an extensive study on oils awhile back. They took NYC cabs and ran them 6000 miles between oil changes with a different type of oil for each one. They rebuilt and spec'd the engines completely before the tests, and tore them down and remeasured everything after... it was at least 30k. As it turned out, none of them performed any better than the others. As long as that little certification star is on there, it's good oil. They also lab tested the used oil to see how much it had broken down, yes synthetics held up better, but conventional oils didn't really break down so what difference does it make? They also determined that synthetic blend oils have no benefits over conventional oil. And that additives actually do more harm than good, not the ones that come in oil, but the ones that you buy in a bottle like STP. Dupont also made mention that teflon is not supposed to be used in oil and will not bond with metals in an engine, so it will actually wind up clogging passages.

Anyway, thats just my .02. You don't have to take my word for it, but check it out at least.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts