Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I have done many, The easy part is making the hole and installing the cable,floor shift bracket,floor shifter and console. The more involved and time consuming part comes from wiring it so that it functions normally (back up lights and such)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
:cool:i was looking at the colum the other day if i were u id take it out of the car and just cut off the column shifter w a sawzall or something and make it look clean no one will tell the difference ......:cool:

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
As far as doing this and making things work (just the basics) all you need to do is get the console, shifter, SHIFTER BRACKET that rivets to the floor,shifter cable and trans bracket. This stuff will make your car a floor shift car. To make it a proper install you will need a rubber grommet/boot to cover to hole in the floor that the shifter cable runs thru, some anti rust for the hole you cut, wiring the shifter so that it works with the reverse lights and neutral safety switch and so that it lights up the letters in the shifter gear indicator.

The column shifter comes out by removing a pin and spring and will leave a small area sticking out where it used to be. You can change this "bowl/column neck" with one from a wrecked stripped car that still has that (impala) and then remove the old linkage from the column shift that is under the hood by the intermediate steering shaft and below by the trans.

Sounds like alot of work but its not, the most time consuming stuff is wiring for the reverse lights and safety switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can u tell me how to wired the reverse and neutral. I convert everything and steering column too please let me know how if u have it by picture will b better thanks for ur help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Before...

After...

I didn't really mess with the wiring. Instead, I fabricated a bracket that would take the column shifter transmission bar and the floor shifter cable. So when you pull the floor shifter, the column moves (like in a monte carlo ss) of course I took out the pin that holds the shifter bar in place and it moves freely once you turn the ignition on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts