Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned and oiled my K&N air filter (original replacement, not cold air) yesterday and hit 7.5+ on my boost gauge about 1/2 hour ago! The highest I've seen before today is 6.0+ even with 94 octane...I currently have 92 octane and the temp outside is 26 degrees F. I'm wondering what the 7.5+ lbs of boost would have translated into horsepower for a stock 04 indy SS?

I'm guessing that would be around 260 hp, as I only got 5.0+ lbs of boost before changing air filters. That would be 2.5+ lbs of boost over stock. It's been my understanding on average you can safely assume a 10hp gain per PSI of boost...anyone have other information or ideas about this?

·
Registered
358 Posts
7.5 psi with a drop in,pretty sweet. i spike 10 but hold around 8 with a fwi, im sure all L67's are different but not bad with just a drop in!!as for amount of hp per each psi i am not sure but 260 sounds a little steep 2 me but like i said i dont know.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
what mods besides the K&N?
there is no psi-> hp formula for these cars that i am aware of, but on stock valvetrain/pulley i doubt you would see anywhere near 260 @ the wheels...

·
Registered
60 Posts
what mods besides the K&N?
there is no psi-> hp formula for these cars that i am aware of, but on stock valvetrain/pulley i doubt you would see anywhere near 260 @ the wheels...

Before I dropped the pulley size on my ss i would be hitting 5psi maybe 6psi thats with only a k&n cold air intake. Now I dropped my pulley to a 3.4 I am hitting 10psi max. For you to see 7.5psi with only a cold air intake is pretty damn good.

I am going make an appointment to bring my car to the dyno and see what I am pushing out if I am getting almost 10psi of boost...any idea...

·
Registered
358 Posts
For you to see 7.5psi with only a cold air intake is pretty damn good.
he has a drop in replacement filter, and gettin 7.5 psi!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2004 Chevy Impala SS Indy Limited Edition and I noticed the psi boost hasn't moved once but I've been easy on it considering it's condition, I was shocked at how clean it is and has had only minor repairs. What should I be looking for and what's the best air filter I should put in it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts