Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there,

Well, my time with my much beloved 7th gen is at an end - I was involved in an accident, and the car was totalled. Thanks to this forum, I was able to keep her on the road, strong and awesome, for three years. I figured I would post the picture of us together, to show just how safe these cars really are. I walked away from this wreck with nothing but bruises, while the guy in the Jeep suffered a broken neck, broken ribs, concussion, and more. He's going to be fine, given time to heal, but this just goes to show that we're driving a very safe vehicle. Wear your seatbelt!

If an admin can fix the borders, that would be super. I'm sorry, but I don't know how. :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Wow, dude, that's nasty. Glad you're ok! Not to detract from your accident, more to make notice of how safe these boats are, check out the below. All lived (so far as the articles say). Great cars.

Grain Truck Versus Impala Holdrege Nebraska

PineBeltPress.com

So back to you, what are you planning to get? Another Impala? You're kinda indebted to the Impala gods now. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Glad to hear your ok. Hate that the car is a total loss.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Wow, glad you are okay too. Anybody ever tell you that you look a little like Mikey from OCC?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am almost afraid to say this, but I just picked up an '03 Ford Explorer. I was **this** close to buying another 7th gen (silver, this time), but my wife and I decided that we just had to have something with a lot more storage, since we do one to three 8000 mile road trips a year, when we can. The Explorer was cheap, though, so once I've got that paid off, I'm probably gonna get another Impala for her to drive. 3.8 this time, though! When it comes to Mikey . . . I guess I can see that. I used to joke that I look like Tom Petty, if he never started heroin. Maybe I can switch that to Mikey, if he did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, dude, that's nasty. Glad you're ok! Not to detract from your accident, more to make notice of how safe these boats are, check out the below. All lived (so far as the articles say). Great cars.

That's incredible! And, exactly the opposite of detracting from this, this is exactly what I'd like to see here. These cars are beyond a doubt the safest thing I've driven, personally, and I think it should be talked about. Head on accidents at a combined speed of about 125mph, like mine (I was on a 70mph road, so it could have been worse), don't usually have pictures like this as the aftermath.

These cars look great, run great, are a pleasure to drive, and fun to work on. But, they can also save your life.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Not to take away from your accident, but there are other safe cars. This was a 65mph rollover after a 6 foot drop from the highway you see in the background, I got a scratch on my hand from a piece of glass.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
^Nope.....Impala's the only safe car in the world. Back the F off, Nick. :biggrin:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Damnit Matt! You called my bluff, it was really 5mph.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Well, I wasn't diminishing it when I called it a scratch. After a couple days you couldn't tell. Those outbacks are actually supposed to have been one of the safest cars on the road, I mean the damn thing rolled over and didn't even break the roof rack, the only reason the windows blew out is because I rolled over a tree. Of course, the only reason it rolled was because I landed on a tree... I actually kinda miss that car, it was great for running around town and going to the mountains.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yours looks like it was more of an impact though, my airbags didn't even go.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Wouldn't trade my caprice for it for a second for anything else though, just doesn't compare on comfort and joy to drive.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Just wondering - WHY did you fall off the road? And airbags, they do need some power and from the right direction to deploy. Saw a guy in a Renault in Germany strike the rail, flip over and roll about five rolls. No airbags and he walked away with just some scratches.

My brother lost control over his BMW 3 series in a pool of water on the highway, did about three rolls, no airbags deployed, could still open the door as normal and stepped out.
Though i guess these are "softer" impacts that give he car time to slow down significantly. A head on as this Impala are (I assume) much more demanding on the structure of the car and the way its designed in order to keep the passengers uninjured or at least in as good condition as possible. More rapid deceleration.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am almost afraid to say this, but I just picked up an '03 Ford Explorer. I was **this** close to buying another 7th gen (silver, this time), but my wife and I decided that we just had to have something with a lot more storage, since we do one to three 8000 mile road trips a year, when we can. The Explorer was cheap, though, so once I've got that paid off, I'm probably gonna get another Impala for her to drive. 3.8 this time, though! When it comes to Mikey . . . I guess I can see that. I used to joke that I look like Tom Petty, if he never started heroin. Maybe I can switch that to Mikey, if he did.
Explorers are actually pretty decent. they hold there value well. I had a 98 Explorer that I got for 500 bucks because the owner thought the engine was locked up. turned out that an idler pulley was locked up on the serpentine belt and it had a weak battery. I drove it 30k and actually rolled it dicking off in the snow, but continued to drive it. I ended up trading it for a flatbed trailer that the guy was asking 1500 bucks for.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
My sister in laws husband was killed by Ford in an Explorer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts