Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to buy one and i just want to know some info on them from people that have expierience with them. how solid are they?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These cars have little gremlins just like any other car, but the cool thing is that there is a strong and large group of enthusiasts out there that publish their problems and fixes for free on different forums and websites.

There are a lot of good write ups out there that go step by step.

I love my car because there are so many parts available and it can take a lot of abuse. The things that have given me the most problems are the tranny (I am on #3 but a couple were toasted at the track), the ac lines, and the electric fans (overheated harness and relays).

Some people have had a lot of problems with the opti spark, water pump, and minor stuff.

When I first got my car, I had about 100k on it. The car got ported aluminum heads and an LPE 211 cam and all of the supporting mods, gears, suspension, electronics, tune, and brakes. It was doing consistent 13 flats with the stock 100k bottom end. Some of my friends have gone 250k on the same engine. I threw a little more money at it made her go a wee faster.:wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
i love them, really strong, great cars, like ^^^ said you kinda gotta watch out for the opti spark and water pump, not the easiest thing to make go fast. LT1s just arnt as easy to pump out power as new stuff (LS) or old school (carbed) but if you work it right it will, even though you have to get over the fact that it is a 4200+lbs iron sled grandmaws church ride... but thats why they are great, there is just something... nostalgic about them lol, super chevy said in an artical "to race a caprice is to love a caprice"(killer whale pt.1) i think that is well put

·
Registered
141 Posts
Go Ahead Get One

I dont have an Impala ss but I have a caprice and I wont ever drive any thing else. Go ahead I bet you never look back.:smile::smile::smile::smile:

·
Registered
14 Posts
as far as the differences between the impala and caprice... the interiors are a little different, 95 and 96 impalas had a floor shifter and the caprices always had column shifter, the suspension is obviously different and depending on the model of caprice it may have drum, the 9c1 option had the disc brakes, but all others have drums.

·
Registered
125 Posts
check this out ....

my family has been through about 11 cars since 1989. my 95 SS and my grandpa's 89 chevy van still runs strong as ever .... the other nine .... VW, honda, plymouth and ford models all died .....

these cars are very solid, of course they have thier issues but there are solutions to all the problems they have

plus, these cars are classics, you could never go wrong with driving one of these beasts .... :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
as far as the differences between the impala and caprice... the interiors are a little different, 95 and 96 impalas had a floor shifter and the caprices always had column shifter, the suspension is obviously different and depending on the model of caprice it may have drum, the 9c1 option had the disc brakes, but all others have drums.
Sorry, only '96 SS got the floor shifter, and the analog gauges.

·
Registered
14 Posts
sorry, excuse me for mis-speaking, well since you sound like you know about these, can i keep the digital gauge cluster if i swap to a 406 small block? any tips on a 406 fast xfi injected swap???

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
What would the gauge cluster have to do with what engine is in the car? What year car are you talking about? a 406 would be a 1st gen SB, not an LT1.

·
Registered
128 Posts
PRO should have 30 spline axles with the 8.5 and the nice factory disk brakes.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
This is some sort of necro-posting record.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts