Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 impala 3.6. I want to use a floorjack to lift the front end for jackstands at the proper jacking points on each side. These cars don't have a lot of strong points underneath, and I want to be sure I'm using a spot in the center to get the front end up evenly. I will be doing oil changes, transmission drain, etc. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Check your owners manual for the proper jack points. To lift the front end evenly, place the jack under the cradle (subframe) front middle with e-brake applied.

·
Registered
2014 Impala LT w/2LT 3.6L (10th Gen.)
30 Posts
I have a 2015 impala 3.6. I want to use a floorjack to lift the front end for jackstands at the proper jacking points on each side. These cars don't have a lot of strong points underneath, and I want to be sure I'm using a spot in the center to get the front end up evenly. I will be doing oil changes, transmission drain, etc. Any recommendations?
On the 9th generation (or 10th depending how u count) there isn't really a good centered jacking point in the front, as the front crossmember is quite narrow and is surrounded by plastic.
For oil changes and such, it would be safer and easier to use drive up ramps. You do need to choose ramps carefully however as the very low profile of the front air dam and bumper can cause interference problems with some ramp types. The ramps I use are 40+ years old and constructed of welded angle iron. Perhaps others here can recommend a modern type that works well for them on the Impala.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use Race Ramps for my ZO6 and my LTZ and they are the best ever but not cheap! Amazon does have less expensive ramps that should work if they are low enough profile or make lead up ramps out of Amazon boxes or what ever!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought a set of Rhino Ramps and have had no issue with my 2008 and have used them many times without issue. I've also used them on my wife's 2009 Murano without issue. Home Depot had them for under $40.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What ever works.... but a 2015 is not the same as your 2008 and the home depot ramps may not work for the Last Gen Impala?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have had a 2014 impala for 6 years now and the pinch welds that are designed to be the 'Jack point' of this car will suffer if a lifting puck of some sort is not used. For this reason Is why I bought a product designed for the chevy camaro called ZL1 Lift pads and they extend and widen the jack point so now i never have to worry and they are 4 one in each corner. All though some grinding has to be done once they are on they aint going nowhere

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had a 2014 impala for 6 years now and the pinch welds that are designed to be the 'Jack point' of this car will suffer if a lifting puck of some sort is not used. For this reason Is why I bought a product designed for the chevy camaro called ZL1 Lift pads and they extend and widen the jack point so now i never have to worry and they are 4 one in each corner. All though some grinding has to be done once they are on they aint going nowhere

Hello @chevy.million.mike , Thanks for posting. Which ZL1 lift pads did you purchase? Would they work with a regular floor jack?

·
Registered
110 Posts
These are lift pads that I bought. Yes, they do work with any floor jack. When installed the ones on the front of the car they fit like a glove. The ones in the rear you have to grind some metal off so they will fit. Once they are on and as tight as i can possibly tighten them then i sprayed all 4 corners with rust inhibitor So the ate up metal can hold up over the years, got to admit when you look at the car from a distance it looks pretty cool cause they stick out. I'll post a pic if i can later.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see a subframe that runs front to back on each side of the engine/transmission combo. If I have to jack the car from the pinch welds I will need to put the jackstands somewhere. Are those pieces of frame strong enough?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Yes, you can jack at the marked pinch welds or the subframe (cradle) and place the jackstands at the location you don't jack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts