Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The f2b bracket kit arrived from santa. Next week we will see how it fits in the box cappys. The crossmember will also be ordered next week. Im still on the fence about just buying a tranny then later buying a crate motor or getting a complete used ls take out. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Awwww yeah...the firewall on the 79 appear the same as 91-96. I pulled the car into my shop, wedged my chubby self upside down under the dash and started inspecting and comparing. I havent the time to dive in and start pulling out the seats and carpet yet, but the main pedal bracket looks to fit in the right place. Time to start disposing income on more parts. I will try to remember to take good photos and document so all you 77-90 guys that want to do this have BODY STYLE SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS. I still cant believe there arent instructions for this swap on the interwebs.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I figured they would be the same, keep us updated!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive noticed that there isnt much junk in the way under the dash. How much crap is in the way in the 91-96? the firewall looks more accessable also. Am i right?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just informed by the company that the 91-93 have a different crossmember than 94-96. I ordered the 94-96. am i going to run into massive problems? they also have a record of people ordering for 77-90 but no knowledge of how the install went. What do you guys think? they wont guarantee either will work.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The 94-96 crossmember is a double hump for dual exhaust, I believe it also mounts slightly different on one end, worst case you'll need to drill an extra hole or two.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mentioned that i was installing it on a 79 to the company rep (he said he actually builds them) and he started spouting about how 91-93 was different and the 94-96 wouldnt work on 91-93. i told him again i had a 79 and i wanted the 94-96 impala ss crossmember.(i was assuming the difference being the provision for dual exhaust, which i need anyway) He said there was no guarantee it would work. I told him my forum buddies and I think differently and that the only major differences between the bubbles and boxes was the skin. He admitteded they had never been under a 77-90 to compare. I hope we are right guys... I didnt buy it powder coated in case it needs to massaged

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just bought a nice donor 95 z28. 10k in engine rebuild receipts alone. Its really too nice to tear up...oh well

·
Registered
536 Posts
nice looking engine in that z28. is that a lt1 ? is that nitrous on top? what mods have been done to that motor?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lt1. he never ran a bottle. Just set it up for one. Sounds strong. Supposedly broken in and it has a cpl 1/4 mi passes and one trip to limerock,where the car scared him. Then he was transferred. Down south. He says 10 miles on the motor. i have to check all the receipts. I do know it was built by 2 local shops in CT. the bottom end by big als toy box. Top by DCE if i remember correctly. Dynod 400+ with the e85 tune

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
x2, keep tony away from it the drool will rust parts:lol:

sweet:eek:k3:
DAMN! Already shorted out my keyboard,too...
:eek:k3:

Keep us posted, too! When you go to a car show with it, let me know when and where, I'll come by with my son...He'd LOVE to see it as well as me!:hope:
(I promise NOT to drool on your car...):giggle:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Chassis didn't change from 77-96, the crossmember will mount differently, but as I said it will only take drilling a hole or two.

That camaro looks pretty sweet, I just hope those bottom end mods didn't do more harm than good, as they tend to with modern engines...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Judging by the receipts and talking to the shops that worked it, It was built and tuned correctly...in theory. Im going to tame the engine a bit. First thing is to swap out the electric water pump. Its claiming to be good for dd use, but im iffy. Seeing as it needs a new tune anyway, ill probably toss the factory FI and computer and carb it. Or go ez efi. im going to try to remove the drivetrain in one piece from the camaro. (by dropping the sub frame) im sure i can shoehorn it in to the caprice.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The car was just dropped off. Holy crap folks...10.8:1 compression, 30 pages totaling over 10k in build receipts. This motor will need taming to be streetable. Its lopey as a mother...i drove it for 2 min and needed new shorts. I've never been so scared so quickly. I think i got on hell of a deal. I may just sell the motor and buy one more suited for a daily driver...i have all the information and you can hear it run...any takers?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I would hold on to that motor. Remember your car is heavier than the one it will be leaving. And you might have some fun for a bit before deciding to tame or change it back out.

Maybe later you might tame the cam a bit, then again maybe not, LOL.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As long as i can get it tuned for regular 93 pump gas, ill keep it....though adjusting valves regularly doesn't sound like much fun. Looking it over more, im definitely ditching the computer and fuel injection.and starting fresh carb'd or ez efi. The wiring is kind of hacked. Not scary or dangerous but ugly and pieced.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts