Impala Forums banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
It was a gigantic pain to get it out, had to pry the bolt away from the pan as I wrenched it off. I'm SUPER lucky the pan threads were still fine. I was almost positive I was going to have to put a pan on it.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
It was a gigantic pain to get it out, had to pry the bolt away from the pan as I wrenched it off. I'm SUPER lucky the pan threads were still fine. I was almost positive I was going to have to put a pan on it.
You won't need it, but, FWIW, there is a slightly oversized oil pan plug available. It cuts slightly oversized threads into the pan as it's installed.

http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/engine-oil-drain-plug/needa-parts-engine-oil-drain-plug/257014_0_0/

Doug

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
Yeah replacing the oil pan on these beasts is no fun at all..

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Tell me about it. I've gotta do mine for a leaky gasket, been putting it off.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
True, but some are easier than others...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #128

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
On some cars it's just bolts.. Maybe an exhaust manifold in the way..

On the 3800
Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure in Engine Electrical.
Remove the fuel injector sight shield. Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement .
Remove the air cleaner intake duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Intake Duct Replacement In Engine Controls - 3.8L.
Install the engine support fixture. Refer to Engine Support Fixture .
Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the right exhaust manifold pipe stud nuts from the catalytic converter.
Drain the engine oil and remove the oil filter. Refer to Engine Oil and Oil Filter Replacement .
Disconnect the oil level sensor electrical connector.
Remove the oil level sensor wiring harness bolt and reposition the oil level sensor wiring harness.
Remove the engine mount lower nuts from the engine mount.
Lower the vehicle.
Use the engine support fixture to raise the engine.
Raise the vehicle.
Remove the left engine mount bracket bolts from the engine.
Remove the right engine mount bracket bolts from the engine.
Remove the engine mount upper nuts.
Remove the engine mount and the bracket from the frame.
Remove the torque converter covers. Refer to Torque Converter Cover Replacement in Automatic Transaxle - 4T65E.

Caution!
Remove the oil level sensor, located in the oil pan, before the oil pan is removed. The sensor may be damaged if the oil pan is removed first.

Remove the oil pan bolts.
Remove the oil pan.

^^^ See all that fun?!? :lol:

Reactions: Dave_N

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Hahahaha sooo much fun! I might just put a new one on all my cars

·
That Guy!!
1,424 Posts
Couple of things not in the manual. Cuss (a lot!) and have drink of choice on standby.

Oh wait, thought of one more. I know for me (and others) there always seems to be the required cut yourself on something and draw a little blood!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I did get my valve cover recall done yesterday. GM provides

-new front valve cover
-new "improved" gasket
-bolts and remaining bolt gaskets

However be warned that your factory engine cover will no longer fit. For this reason I will not be doing this to my other cars (and I have already replaced the gaskets in them). If you would like to keep the cover make sure and ask the dealer for it. I've been told by the L36 owners their cover still fits but I cannot confirm this.

I also elected to get the key recall done for one reason which is that the key I got with the car was broken so I was not able to put it on a key ring.Otherwise I prefure the factory non-recall key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need to get my recall done I don't know if they will service a cammed painted engine impala though nice man I see the car is treating you right

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Well this thing will be taken off of daily duty. I will still drive it the next couple rainy days just to be safe that all salt is washed away but for the most part I'll be driving my nice one. Now its time for a good deep clean.

Plans for this summer include

-brakes all the way around
-try to find a black front bumper at a yard

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
So I know the plan was to run some 06+ wheels on this thing but I got these for next to nothing with BRAND NEW Hankooks on them so I couldn't pass them up. I have seen a few 05/05 SS with these wheels and they look pretty good

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Got my new wheels on and did a MUCH needed after winter detail on this thing yesterday. Still cleans up pretty good!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
This one is SOLD. But you can follow the thread of the car that replaced it HERE.:eek:k3:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Got to see this thing again at one of our local W body meets over the weekend.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts