Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
I remember seeing that Impala Limited production ceased in May 2016.
This is what I read, as well. Unfortunately, production at the Oshawa, Ontario plant ceased in May of 2016.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Has any car ever been in production for 10 years with basically the same body and interior design for the entire time? I can't recall any myself.It had a good run.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Yeah, the 8th gen Impala has definitely had a very long run, that's for sure! In my opinion, I wish car manufacturers did that more often (long production runs) - and kept perfecting the cars each year instead of throwing them out and starting all over every few years. They could really produce some super-reliable cars if they did this. Of course, I guess that they don't want to the cars to be *too* reliable since their sales would suffer if cars ran forever. :)

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Has any car ever been in production for 10 years with basically the same body and interior design for the entire time? I can't recall any myself.It had a good run.
88-98 Chevy Silverado's lol. only differences really were different dashes in 95 and vortec heads (basically) around 94/95 as well. same body though, 3rd door introduced in 98 i believe.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The C4 Corvette ran from 1984 to 1996. The front and rear fascias were redesigned in 1991and the interior was updated in 1990.

The 3rd gen F-Body platform (Firebird and Camaro) ran from 1982 to 1992.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I also forgot Porsche 911....that design has never really changed drastically other than motor/transmission upgrades. still the same shape for decades...or a jeep wrangler...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yes 1981-1991 GM Squarebody CK RV series Pickups, Suburban, and fullsize Blazer.
The grille and rad support can be swapped from 1991 to a 1981 and vice versa through all trim levels you have to match the trim level to the rad support... two vs four headlamps and style of four lamp setups... stacked vs side by side.
Interior was essentially the same... again you can use 1991 interior parts on a 1981 and the other way around. Trim levels made for more fancy interior bits.

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
432 Posts
GM A body FWD! 6000, Cierra, Celebrity and Century 1982-1996 subtle change in front and back over the years.

Pat

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mecury Grand Marquis, '79-'91.

Old man pimp ride I got for $100 after the brake lines failed for a friend.

Prime R&B, stereo WFO, 4 windows down, pimpmocruisemobile.

Badass gangsta lean armrest.

LOL.

Sold it for $600 after 10 years of mocking the Lean.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Holden Commodore (GM downunder) - VN (1988) to VZ (2006) - essentially the same body through out - a stretched Opel Omega from Germany.

The VN started out with the 3800 series I, switched to the series II around 1995, the VZ was the odd one out getting the new 3.6 "Alloytec" engine in 2005. Independent rear suspension appeared in 1997 on the VT - the VT was the best selling model.

The VZ was replaced with the VE which was a brand new platform designed in Australia with export markets in mind, otherwise known in these parts as a Pontiac G8. Chevy sells the current VF model as the Chevy SS - 2017 SS 4-Door Sports Sedan | Chevrolet. What I find interesting about this is I've never seen Chevy advertise this car, and while I've spied a few G8's around, I've not seen an SS yet. And I'm getting off topic :)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Holden Commodore (GM downunder) - VN (1988) to VZ (2006) -
Can you elaborate on how the letters and numbers are intertwined? N to Z is 13 characters while 88 to 06 is 19 years, so it's not clear how they work together.

What I find interesting about this is I've never seen Chevy advertise [the SS], and while I've spied a few G8's around, I've not seen an SS yet.
I think they probably get most of their media exposure thru TV coverage of NASCAR races.

BTW, from what I've seen, the G8's, and even more so, the GTO's, seem to be popular with the more dedicated gear head crowd.

I do notice the seemingly few SS's on the road, but, like most folks on Chevy forums, those cars usually catch my eye. I also notice the other current Holden product, the Caprice police cars.

Doug

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can you elaborate on how the letters and numbers are intertwined? N to Z is 13 characters while 88 to 06 is 19 years, so it's not clear how they work together.
Its probably one of the more confusing model naming systems, not every year got a new letter, and there were "Series II" (facelift) versions later on - It's known as the "V-body platform" - they started with VB (I guess VA was a prototype?) and worked their way to VZ skipping a number in the sequence, and after VZ started using the skipped ones with beginning with VE, and now VF is the current one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore - will probably answer most questions better than I can - I'm originally from New Zealand and grew up around various Holden and Australian Fords - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(Australia) , their Japanese competition and what was left of the rubbish imported from the UK.

Ford Falcon was recently discontinued due to a decline in sales of mid sized sedans in the mid 2000s. The latter BA/BF Falcons were well performing and handling (inline 6 turbo was an option) cars but people had largely gone off wanting that sort of thing for a daily driver/family car. Holden compared to Ford were typically nicer cars and ahead in features both technical/performance and safety (E.g Ford was stuffing around with single point injection inline 6's after Holden started using the Buick 3800). The last of them "FG X" looks like an enlarged US Ford Fusion - I think by this point they had given up :)

Lastly - most of the people (that Ive met at work at least) are into anything but American built cars, I'm the black sheep that has two Impala's (7th and 8th gen (2013 LTZ), mostly because (I think) I grew up around mid sized sedans, and thats what I like to have - I find they are the most all round practical cars, good performance, handing, room, luxury, drivability, good fuel economy, decent sized trunk. Wife goes shopping in it with out complaints, and I have have a bit of performance on the side without drawing attention to my self or worry too much about where I park it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The VZ was replaced with the VE which was a brand new platform designed in Australia with export markets in mind, otherwise known in these parts as a Pontiac G8. Chevy sells the current VF model as the Chevy SS - 2017 SS 4-Door Sports Sedan | Chevrolet. What I find interesting about this is I've never seen Chevy advertise this car, and while I've spied a few G8's around, I've not seen an SS yet. And I'm getting off topic :)
Ah the good old Chevy SS. Besides for it being Chevy's car in nascar, they don't promote it at all. Only 3000 were sold in 2016, and 2017 is the last year with production ending sometime in March I believe. I see one every month or two, and I've had the luck to be able to drive one before. That's still my favorite GM vehicle I've driven (and I've had my hands on some C7 vettes before). The thing sounds fantastic, is subtle yet mean looking, has magnetic ride control standard, and you can even get them in stick now! It's a pity GM is discontinuing them due to no longer building vehicles in Australia :(

It's on my list of cars I want to own someday. It's in the top 5 (of vehicles I can realistically afford in the text 10-15 years).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ah the good old Chevy SS. Besides for it being Chevy's car in nascar, they don't promote it at all. Only 3000 were sold in 2016, and 2017 is the last year with production ending sometime in March I believe. I see one every month or two, and I've had the luck to be able to drive one before. That's still my favorite GM vehicle I've driven (and I've had my hands on some C7 vettes before). The thing sounds fantastic, is subtle yet mean looking, has magnetic ride control standard, and you can even get them in stick now! It's a pity GM is discontinuing them due to no longer building vehicles in Australia :(

It's on my list of cars I want to own someday. It's in the top 5 (of vehicles I can realistically afford in the text 10-15 years).
I wanted to get a Pontiac G8 GT, asking prices are still a little out of my range and a nice 2013 LTZ came up for a good price so I decided to retire the 02 LS - that was the first car I bought in the US in Alaska, did two winters in Fairbanks AK, brought my first daughter home in from the hospital in it, and it towed a well loaded 5x8 uhaul to Seattle when we later moved, fixed a bunch of typical problems with it. Sentimental reasons and the garage space for two cars I'm keeping it with the dream of making something nice out of it one day. Maybe next time when I'm in the market for a new car a Chevy SS will be in reach.

As for Holdens, I've driven a VZ that belonged to my grandparents a few times, my dad now has the VZ. They also had a VC SL/X 4 cylinder NZ market model many years and a few different cars before that, remember riding around in it as a kid in the 80s. Also driven a VS (1995-97 model) many years ago that belonged to a friend of mine who's been through several models since, currently has a VF wagon with a tune and intake mods.

GM discontinuing the RWD Commodore after such a long run is sad. Business is business, you don't stay in business selling stuff people are not buying at the end of the day :yikes:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Holden Commodore (GM downunder) - VN (1988) to VZ (2006) - essentially the same body through out - a stretched Opel Omega from Germany.

The VN started out with the 3800 series I, switched to the series II around 1995, the VZ was the odd one out getting the new 3.6 "Alloytec" engine in 2005. Independent rear suspension appeared in 1997 on the VT - the VT was the best selling model.

There are a few Chevy SSs running around in my area. It's a nice car, kind of unassuming, but Chevy seriously game it the dumbest name. 'SS'... seriously, Chevy? The 'SS' has always been a moniker for a trim level on a car with an actual name.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts