Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a used 2001 impala and it has a few problems one of which is the gas gauge--the needle keeps jumping back and forth and the digital red light almost always comes up when i turn on the ignition despite it being full. Im sick of using the speedometer to calculate how many miles ive gone before i need to refill. Some people say the problem lies with the sending unit. How much is the sending unit, and is the digital part of it connected to the gas gauge too, meaning that if the sending unit is fixed the needle should stop pointing to empty and the stupid "empty" sign at the message center wont pop up?

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have a 2001 impala and it does the exact same thing, if you replace the fuel pump, it will help a little.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gas gauge

I had the same problem . When I started my car my gas hand would read empty when I know I had at least a half of tank of gas. so i finally took it to the shop and they replaced the instrument cluster and I have not had the problem since then.

just got a used 2001 impala and it has a few problems one of which is the gas gauge--the needle keeps jumping back and forth and the digital red light almost always comes up when i turn on the ignition despite it being full. Im sick of using the speedometer to calculate how many miles ive gone before i need to refill. Some people say the problem lies with the sending unit. How much is the sending unit, and is the digital part of it connected to the gas gauge too, meaning that if the sending unit is fixed the needle should stop pointing to empty and the stupid "empty" sign at the message center wont pop up?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
the cluster or the sending unit on the pump would be my guess, check to see if you have an access panel for the pump in the trunk, wil bee @ the ver front center of the trunk, usually easier to go in from the back seat when folded down, the cluster you have to pull the whole dash to swap

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a small rheostat that monitors the fuel level on the sendor in the tank. Pull the whole unit and clean it with some alcohol and a cue tip. Make sure the wiper is getting good contact. They wear and the contact points loosen up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts