Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm new here, searching for the issue with my car's HVAC system. The problem is that I have no air flow (heat or a.c.) through the vents, but I do get some cold air flow with a.c. on full blast only when it is on the air flow from outside and only while car is in motion. I know my blower motor is working as it went out last year and I replaced it, and I hear it blowing and changing speeds when I change the a.c. dial. I just replaced the resister a few weeks ago, thinking that must've been the problem, but still no air flow. I checked the fuses and relays which all seemed to be fine. Next, I replaced the a.c. high flow switch/transducer and it's still not working. I also recently replaced all three of the hvac door actuators, though I don't think they would cause the vents not to blow. So next on my list is that it could possibly be a clog in the condenser not allowing air flow, or maybe the compressor clutch or the compressor altogether is bad? Could it be the control switch on the dash/console, or the wires/harness going to the resister? Or a hose clog or break? I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with this type of issue, and how I may be able to figure out the issue without continuing to just replace parts unnecessarily? I'm really trying to take care of everything myself instead of tasking into a shop. I appreciate any feedback here!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
The problem is that I have no air flow (heat or a.c.) through the vents, but I do get some cold air flow with a.c. on full blast only when it is on the air flow from outside and only while car is in motion. I know my blower motor is working as it went out last year and I replaced it, and I hear it blowing and changing speeds when I change the a.c. dial.
You have an airflow problem - the condensor and compressor have little to do with that other than making the flowing air cold.

Does your car have a single or dual (left and right side) hot/cold blend knobs? Assuming dual, since that is common, then there is a total of four actuators.

You likely replaced the two hot/cold actuators and the fresh air/recirc actuator. The fourth one is the mode selector which controls which vent the air comes out. This one is near the left end of the glove box, and is a different part than the other three.

The mode selector is GM part number 22754989 .

The other thing to consider is the cabin air filter. It is located below the grill under the right side windshield wiper. If that's clogged, you won't get much air out of any vent when fresh air is selected. But it does not affect airflow when recirc is selected.

Play around with the controls, switching between fresh air and then recirc, and changing the selected vent, and determine if it's the filter or the mode selector.

HTH.
Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have an airflow problem - the condensor and compressor have little to do with that other than making the flowing air cold.

Does your car have a single or dual (left and right side) hot/cold blend knobs? Assuming dual, since that is common, then there is a total of four actuators.

You likely replaced the two hot/cold actuators and the fresh air/recirc actuator. The fourth one is the mode selector which controls which vent the air comes out. This one is near the left end of the glove box, and is a different part than the other three.

The mode selector is GM part number 22754989 .

The other thing to consider is the cabin air filter. It is located below the grill under the right side windshield wiper. If that's clogged, you won't get much air out of any vent when fresh air is selected. But it does not affect airflow when recirc is selected.

Play around with the controls, switching between fresh air and then recirc, and changing the selected vent, and determine if it's the filter or the mode selector.

HTH.
Doug

Hello Doug! I did not know there is a fourth actuator, thank you so much for this info!! I have no air flow when recirculated air is chosen. I only have air flow when fresh air control is chosen, but only when car is in motion. Yes, it is dual control. Also, I changed the cabin air filter recently. I will check out the mode selector. Is this actuator not like the others, as in it doesn't make the ticking/knocking sound when it is bad?
Thank you for the part number also!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, may pull the red 10 amp "Display" fuse underhood, turn ignition key to the on/run position and replace the fuse.
Hello, Sheila! Thank you for responding. I checked the fuse by placing another 10 amp fuse from another location in the display socket, also checked the other fuses the same way. But does it make a difference to turn the car on before placing the fuse in? Since switching out the fuses made no difference I assumed they were fine, but the car was not running when I tested this.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
^ Dunno for sure. I was having mode/vent problems and did the same as you with the car off and batt. ground disconnected to no avail. I either turned the key to on/run or started the car and removed/replaced the fuse and then could make my mode/vent selections. Don't think I was experiencing any airflow problems, just couldn't command the vents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Current HVAC student with a semester left to go, I don't know too much but maybe I can help. To me it sounds like the blower motor isn't getting enough air flow. Insure all air filters are clean and the return part of the furnace has plenty of clearance to bring in air. Sometimes the return is on the bottom of the furnace and installers just sit it down, blocking a huge amount of airflow. My other guess would be the duct work for your house is incorrectly sized. Probably too big if you're only feeling a little bit of air flow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts