Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im kinda new to this forum, but have been reading it for a while. I know all about the problem people are having with abs and trac off light staying on on the dash and the service center blinking "service traction system" and thus disabling the abs system. I actually have the same problem.

The problem now is I just replaced the battery in my car and now when i start my car the abs light on the dash doesn't even come on now, like my car doesn't know that it has abs. So the good news is now i don't get any of those annoying lights on the dash, but now abs system doesn't even try to come on at all.

Why would my car think it doesn't have abs anymore?

BTW i have a 2003 impala ls

·
Registered
119 Posts
when your abs light comes on when you start it, thats called a bulb check. your car didn't "forget" about its abs. you just have a light on your dash burnt or shorted out. trying smacking the top of the dash right above the instrument panel. it works to get mine working... lol. and if you had that problem, both the traction and abs system rely on signals from the wheel speed sensors. you probably have a front sensor out. thats the most common cause of this thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i don't think that the bulb burnt out because the service center screen doesn't pop up the "service traction system" anymore like its not booting up the abs system at all to throw any codes. when you start your car it does a short diagnostic check and its not checking the abs system at all now........ im thinking i probably shorted out a relay or something.

my abs system is not starting up when the car starts up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, i had the same problem with my ss 2004, i have looked the speed sensors on the 4 wheels with an Ohmeters and:

Hub sensor front side driver = 1080 Ohms
Hub sensor front side passenger = 1067 Ohms
Hub sensor rear side driver = 1087 Ohms
Hub sensor rear side passenger = nothing values

I have decided to replace the hub with the sensor, i am not sure if the sensor may be replace without the hub, may be...
So, when i have removed the hub with the sensor rear side passenger, the hub was "burned color blue" maybe bearing

And now, nothing problem... All is good...

Maybe that the bearing release a dust on the sensor and the sensor not be able to take the magnetism...

It is possible that your problem is not the same but, check all sensor with an Ohmeters for start, check the fuse also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.