Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just had a major Ice & snow storm here in Iowa. My 2004 Chevy Impala got stuck in the snow. I had to gun it to get it un-stuck. I drove it about 15 miles. It ran fine. I stopped at the store and let it run for over an hour while I was inside. Then I drove it about 1/2 mile up the road and it died. The battery is strong. It still turns over. It acts as if it's out of gas. It has 1/4 tank of gas in it and has always ran like crap when it only had 1/4 tank of gas. One person tells me I may have flooded it while getting it un-stuck from the snow. One person tells me It sounds like the fuel pump took a dump because he could'nt "hear it" when starting the car. Any suggestions? Facts about this car: 2004 Chevy Impala, 160,000 miles.
Ex-police car. Just had fuel filter changed and vapor cylinoide changed.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Your fuel gauge might not be reading properly.
Wow, that's a lot of mileage on it.
I wouldn't spend too much on it to get it fixed.
Find yourself something else soon.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
It is possible that the fuel pump up and died. Have some one turn on the key but not start the engine, you should at the fuel tank hear the pump kick on for a few seconds. If it does the pump should be working. Many pumps are known to quite when hot and run once they have cooled off. You may find that after a while of letting the car set that it will restart and run, if it does it may quite again soon or run for months. If you dont hear the pump verify that the fuel pump has positve power to it. I have found that some pumps were still good, but the postive wire had gone bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts