Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yesterday I started helping a friend install a Dual XDMA6438 into his 2005 (I believe) Chevy Impala. He bought the radio new yesterday, a wiring harness and a "fit kit" as I have heard them called.

Making the radio fit the "fit kit" took around 2 hours. Then I took a few month hours soldering all of the connections together. We got the dash apart (one big PITA might I add), removed the factory radio and connected the new one. I turned the key in the car and waited.

I waited for nothing though. Nothing happened; the radio would not turn on. I held the power button - nothing. I took the face-plate off and the red light that I would assume is a security light was flashing. I grabbed a pen and held the "reset" button down for 10 seconds. That didn't seem to change anything.

Since then we have put the old radio in.

Now I know from searching through Google and reading MANY threads on this forum there is something with these cars and their radios that can cause problems. I myself do not understand them so that part is whatever.

I would just like to know what I need to do to get the radio to at least turn on and work with what I have. >I would like to get this done as soon as possible.< Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There has to be an answer to this. I have found two threads related to mine that are over a year old in which not even ONE person replied. I won't have that for the simple fact I need this done today. Let's get with it guys.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Have you verified that your radio power wire is receiving power from the vehicle? Have you checked that the radio memory wire has constant power to it? I installed an older Dual in a car and was not impressed with their quality. I would double check the wiring and connections.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you verified that your radio power wire is receiving power from the vehicle? Have you checked that the radio memory wire has constant power to it? I installed an older Dual in a car and was not impressed with their quality. I would double check the wiring and connections.
I am by no means new to installing radios into cars, lol. I checked that all of the wires were the same color. I thought it was a ground problem but that didn't make any bit of a difference.

I guess I can check them again when I am able to work on this car again.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I understand about same color wires. But I have seen several that I had to match one color of the harness to a different color of the radio. So I always check each connection on both diagrams to be sure I am connecting them correctly.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Another issue could also be if this vehicle was a change from the normal wiring up to it. Also does this vehicle have an amp under the rear package shelf? If so was there an option to connect the trip wire for it?

I know you understand aftermarket radios I am just trying to be sure all bases are covered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another issue could also be if this vehicle was a change from the normal wiring up to it. Also does this vehicle have an amp under the rear package shelf? If so was there an option to connect the trip wire for it?

I know you understand aftermarket radios I am just trying to be sure all bases are covered.
I highly doubt it, but I will check for sure. I am almost positive there was not.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
I highly doubt it and all the wires are color matched isnt a good way to install a headunit.

Go to Crutchfield.com and look up the right harness for the car
Bose, onstar, warning chimes and all that are very important
Buy that harness somewhere where its cheaper and install it.
Use the diagrams when installing it dont just match up wires

Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I highly doubt it and all the wires are color matched isnt a good way to install a headunit.

Go to Crutchfield.com and look up the right harness for the car
Bose, onstar, warning chimes and all that are very important
Buy that harness somewhere where its cheaper and install it.
Use the diagrams when installing it dont just match up wires

Let us know how it goes
That may be but it has yet to fail me, at least in any Chrysler, Mitsubishi/Eagle and Ford. lol I don't know much about Chevys but this has definitely turned me off from them.

I looked through the site and did not find a wiring harness for a 2005 Chevy Impala with AM/FM/CD w/OnStar.

I'll make sure to redo the harness with diagrams and report back. I have a strong feeling however that I will return with the same issue.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cap89 the Scosche would be like your first link.

I forgot that the OEM radio may have been connected to the BCM, if so then could the BCM not send the power signal to the new radio since it cannot "talk" to it?
^ if he got one like the second one theres no acc power (red wire )on car side.the first one generates acc power from bcm .did you to check to see if yellow and red wires have 12 volt with a meter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You first need to know if you have the right harness
I'm pretty sure it was the correct one.

^ if he got one like the second one theres no acc power (red wire )on car side.the first one generates acc power from bcm .did you to check to see if yellow and red wires have 12 volt with a meter.
No I didn't, lol.

It is actually quite ridiculous to have to go to this extreme to install a damn aftermarket radio. Any who, my friend sold the radio to a friend of his. I don't blame him. Thanks for the helps guys but I honestly am still lost as to how this is the only car a simply matching on the wires would not suffice.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Its possible that you may need to tap into a better ground for the install if you have the correct harness, none of the fuses are blown, and it is wired together the rite way. You may also need to pull the radio fuse to reset the system. I installed mine with the bose onstar harness, it worked fine for a day then went out and all I had was the blinking red light so I pulled the radio fuse in the fuse block and reset it. has been working fine for a few months now. I didn't have to add an extra ground with this harness but I have had to in the past on other vehicles.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
It is actually quite ridiculous to have to go to this extreme to install a damn aftermarket radio.

It is actually quite redic you didn't do your research beforehand. And you bought a Dual headunit :giggle:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I hate to bump a slightly older thread but THIS post directly relates to my problem.

I purchased a scosche wiring harness and a used double din deck. I was unable to power the unit on when wiring it to my adapter and after further inspection there is no RED acc wire coming from the cars harness.

If I hook the red acc from the deck to battery power, the deck powers up and is functional, short of it always being on, whether is the vehicle has the key in or not (obviously wont work).

What do you guys recommend I hook my deck side red acc wire into on the vehicle? Is there something that is easily accessible that powers on with the key in the acc position that i can splice into for the deck?

thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Using a volt meter (DVM) look for power on one of the wire with the key on. That will be the power wire for the runit. Also might try the wiring schematics for one year newer and older than you car to find the proper wires to hook to.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I am very new to wiring stereos but I did a bit of testing and found that the wiper fuse only receives power when in the on/acc setting, so I wired into that fuse on the drivers panel. Thanks though, 77! Very much acceptable any and all help.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts