Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in kind of a dilema and looking for opinions.... I have a 96 SS and it needs some work done. First thing it needs is struts and joints and who knows what else because the front end has some shake and tracks a little. It is also in desperate need of Tires and thats where my dilema comes in....

Do i go ahead and fork up the money for tires AND rims???? or do i just get tires and stick with stock rims until i get the rest of the car done? Reason i say that is the car could also use new paint and a new tint job.. I would also like to eventually add a turbo or a supercharge havent decided which....

Im thinking just get tires and save the rim money until the end of the project but im curious to see what everyone thinks. Some people think the rims make the look.

·
Registered
184 Posts
First and foremost,

Our cars dont have Struts, and they definately don't have CV Joints.

---

Factory SS wheels are perfectly fine. They fit good and they look great. If you like they way the look, keep them and just get tires. If you want a new look, get something new.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
buy used tires if you have to for what wheels you already have. New wheels and tires are the least of your concern if you have mechanical issues.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would never put used tires on a car that I like.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
White93ltz
My bad on the struts, honestly i dont have that much knowlege about whats underneath the car. I have dealt with very little suspension work. And thanks for the link with the suspension kits!!! learn something new everyday.

GBA
I have considered half life tires, because its not my every day driver and i do plan on eventually getting new wheels for the car and i would hate to spend close to 800 bucks on new tires and then in a year find the wheels i want and have to buy them AGAIN. so its definately something in my mind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well maybe my question is worded wrong.... I am definately doing the maintenance without a doubt first.... Really im curious what order people thought the mods should come in at.... like turbo first then paint then wheels? or knock wheels and tires out at the same time and hold off on paint and turbo...

Was iffy about spending money on tires if in the future im going to be upgrading wheels and having to buy tires again. but then i was thinking itll take me awhile if im adding the turbo then paint then wheels... might be time for new tires by then...

after maintenance i think im going to go in this order.
Turbo
Paint
Replace leather on driver seat
wheels

thats really what i was asking was order of mods and people preferance.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, do you want "go" or "show"? Figure it out and then you'll know where to spend your money. Paint, wheels, turbo and other such stuff aren't needed. Your front end re-build and other maintenance probably is. Remember, if you're gonna have "go," you gotta have "whoa."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts