Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
noticed a lot of squealing from the belt. took it to a shop to get the tensioner replaced and they told me it was the crank pulley / harmonic balancer. then they called back to tell me the balancer wasn't the issue, it was the crank shaft seal that was blown and was causing the problem. i figure replacing the rubber seal between the balancer and housing wouldnt be very expensive, but they said it was a metal seal inside the housing and they would have to "take the engine apart".

what went from a $120 repair jumped to $330, that quickly became a $450 job and i'm sure i got seriously overcharged for it. the worst part is i don't even know what seal they're talking about. i know of the crank seal, rubber ring, very cheap, easily accessible once the balancer is removed, but what metal seal did they charge me for?

***just looked at the invoice and it says "crank shaft seal 36.99, labor .75 hours"

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Ya sorry but you totally got the shaft by that shop. A $37 seal and .75 hrs? That means they are making approx $310 and hour. I don't know any legit shop that makes that. Not even dealerships make that.

With that being said it was likely just your tensioner and they stuck it to you. Why? Cause they can get away with it. U should have replaced the tensioner yourself in the first place. Its a fairly easy job. Heck even if you don't have the tools you could have rented them from an autoparts store for free with a deposit (cost of tools).

I'd take a close look under the hood at the tensioner and see if it looks new. But, even if it doesn't ... that doesn't mean they didn't just grab one out of a junkyard and slap it on. Which ... in turn would make them even more money versus a brand new one.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Okay....is it fixed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya sorry but you totally got the shaft by that shop. A $37 seal and .75 hrs? That means they are making approx $310 and hour. I don't know any legit shop that makes that. Not even dealerships make that.

With that being said it was likely just your tensioner and they stuck it to you. Why? Cause they can get away with it. U should have replaced the tensioner yourself in the first place. Its a fairly easy job. Heck even if you don't have the tools you could have rented them from an autoparts store for free with a deposit (cost of tools).

I'd take a close look under the hood at the tensioner and see if it looks new. But, even if it doesn't ... that doesn't mean they didn't just grab one out of a junkyard and slap it on. Which ... in turn would make them even more money versus a brand new one.
i bought the tensioner myself from autozone the day before. i planned on doing it this weekend but the belt started slipping more and more.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
So was the crank shaft seal the *only* thing listed on the invoice? If so, I'd have to call the shop and question it since it specifically states the cost of the part and the amount of time for the labor. Who knows, maybe they made a "mistake" and you can get some $$ back - doesn't hurt to try. I seriously doubt that they will tell you that their hourly labor rate is over $300/hr!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
How much labor did they charge to swap the tensioner and do the diagnostics? If it was 2 hours, then their price is reasonable for shop prices. I would give the shop a visit, rather than giving them a call. Much easier to say "tough shit" to a customer over the phone than to their face. Good luck :beer:

·
Registered
346 Posts
at least question the repair bill. maybe they did indeed spend several hours on it but neglected to reflect that on the invoice.

I'm not fond of the invoicing at my local Subaru dealer. went for a 30K service and amongst many things listed in their 'paragraph" description was spark plus if required, but there's no way of telling if they replaced the spark plugs, or even if they removed them for inspection.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can't imagine getting out of any service center from a dealer for that cheap....and yes, easy DIY repair, but if they replaced the front seal (would have nothing to do with the noise you were hearing...that would be tensioner or idler) that is a decent price. Did you have a oil leak from the lower front of the engine before you brought it in? And the crank dampeners are prone to failure of the elastomeric bonding breaking down over time, but it is easy to see it at idle as it will have a "wobble" to it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The crank shaft seal would be the only seal down by the harmanic and also the timing cover. I wouldnt know of any other seal down there beside the oil pan. I know this because i recently changed the timing chain i think last week

1 - 10 of 10 Posts