Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm looking for some tips on how to make my beaSSt ready for the track. Right now i'm looking into cross drilled and slotted rotors and stainless steel brake lines, as stated in my current project thread "One Last Hurrah for the Summer". However, i'm looking to get it track ready. I'm not touching the motor for this, i'm more interested in what it would take to get the suspension ready. I'm not a big fan of the idea of replacing my springs right now, but if that's what it takes then what would the best "track spring" be? I'd rather not sacrifice the ride TOO much, but a little bit is just fine :eek:k3:. I'm also a college student, so i'd like to spend the least amount of money possible... I know that this may be a pipe dream for the next few years but i'd like to get some kind of idea on what it would take.

Thanks for your help! :beer:

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
the biggest damn sway bars you can find if not changing springs that's for sure! Nice wide sticky tires too...you doing drag racing or road racing??? guess that should be asked first...

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Actually the serious guys have found that the "biggest available" rear bar is too stiff, like stiff enough that good tires will allow you to lift the inside rear tire.

drilled rotors is a BAD thing especially on a car like this where the rotors are already marginally too small and lite.

Far as springs "stock" or performance is pretty much moot as it would be 15yo vs performance.

Far as cheap I would put poly on the front bar, a set of UMI rear lower control arms, maybe Bilstein sport shocks, easy way to look them up is 80s cop car.

Then do some digging on a more aggressive pad that likes heat.

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
drilled rotors is a BAD thing especially on a car like this where the rotors are already marginally too small and lite.
I'm actually looking for drilled rotors because i'm concerned about my brakes overheating, the stopping power is already good enough for me (for now).

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Drilled can increase the chance of overheating by removing material. Material gives thermal capacity. Say a rotor is 15lbs and you pump 10,000BTUs into it by stopping quickly from 50mph, you drill a bunch of holes in it and make it 13.5lbs but still generate the same heat stopping then what happens? It get HOTTER.

Q & A
This aftermarket brake professional covers other issues part way down the FAQ page. The issues I raise about the rotors already being undersized are for our stock cars not for all cars and do not apply to his aftermarket kits but go ahead and email him and ask how he feels about removing mass from a stock b-body rotor and I bet you hear basically what I already told you.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
raybestos nascar-spec brake package.....good stuff!

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
raybestos nascar-spec brake package.....good stuff!
haha i wouldn't mind running Grand Sport brakes, someone on the Impala SS Forum had a write up i was looking at, but i think nascar-spec brakes are a little too much :lol:

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
they're only 1.5" thick rotors with 6 piston calipers.....hah! and they fit inside 15" wheels, so you can slap on some steelies with racing rubber for track days and run the SS wheels on the street.. plus think about the cool factor of having the same brakes as NASCAR drivers! Just sayin....

·
Banned
2,492 Posts

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
right on, can't argue with that

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Shop around the internet a bit, you can generally find Bilsteins for like $10 apiece more than the Monroe Severe Service. I like the Monroe severe service but I put them on the front of my car like 5 years after doing the rear bilsteins and the monroes are shot but the Bilsteins are still fine.

Basically what I am saying is if you do the monroes you will wear them out, the Bilsteins are really not much more and will likely be the last ones you buy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts