Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Impala 3.4 i believe the tranny is getting ready to take a poop.

i just bought it, say im on a hill, it rolls back like a standard, then when i go to press on the gas, it feels like it slips and then goes.

also when i have it in reverse and hill it will roll forward.

i checked the tranny fluid and it smells kinda burnt, and metallic coloration to it, not bright red like its supposed to be.

you could tell there was very fine metal shavings in it.

my question is, how long will Chevrolet cover the transmission? 8 years 80,000 miles?

if so im at 76,000 miles and still under the 8 year mark

·
Banned
351 Posts
The new warranties on the powertrain are for 5 years or 100,000 miles... not sure if the 7th gen cars were the same, but I doubt it is an 8 year warranty... Did you buy from a private seller or dealer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got from a dealer, smaller dealer not chevy dealer.

either way i shouldnt be out of factory warranty.

·
Banned
351 Posts
How long ago did you buy the car? Is there a lemon law in your state (if the car shits the bed within a certain period of time after purchase, the previous owner is required to cover repair costs)? It all depends on what state you live in.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Its common for the car to roll back on a hill, I don't think you have a trans problem especially if it shifts fine. You should have the trans flushed though, GM wants you to flush the trans at 50K.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Its common for the car to roll back on a hill, I don't think you have a trans problem especially if it shifts fine. You should have the trans flushed though, GM wants you to flush the trans at 50K.
Well he did say it slips starting from a stop and there are metal shavings.

I'd do a fluid & filter change and see if the problem persists. Much cheaper than a tranny rebuild and -might- do the trick. I kind of doubt it though.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've had cars seem like they slip but its because of weak motor mounts, its common. And also one might think they have metal shavings in the trans fluid, but its just because its old and a bit burnt that it looks like that. The only way to tell is to drop the pan and see what it looks like there. But either way none of it is covered under his powertrain warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts