Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Its been a very long winter up here in montana, and my car is telling me all about it.
I drive a 2000 Impala LS (3.8L for those who don't know) after jacking the car up and fixing the brakes, I started having problems with the power steering pump. It started out whining, and got louder as the RPMs raised, and made a horrible sound when I turned the wheel. I checked the fluid, it was low, and had air bubbles. I topped it off and it got better but didn't go away. About a week after, I had the car idling. I turned the tires to back out of the parking spot, and they wouldn't turn without a fight. I knew at this point I was in trouble. There was a monster puddle on the ground. so I jacked it up to take a look, could find a leak.
I got a ride to the store and filled it back up with some cheep power steering fluid, and it drove just fine, no whine, no resistance no nothing. I parked it for the night and the next morning most of the fluid was back on the ground. I filled it up again, jacked up and let it run. I turned the wheels back and forth for a long time.......not a drop came out when i wanted it to. As soon as I shut it off and left it for a couple hours it was leaking hard again.

I don't have money to put her in the shop right now. I tried some power steering-stop leak in there and it just spit it out. I'm not very educated on the power steering system. If someone could explain the power steering system to me piece by piece, so I can figure out where it might be leaking from, that would be great. Any info helps

Thanks guys!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Is there any leaks around the steering rack?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Flow is from the reservoir -> pump -> to the rack -> cooler line -> reservoir.

This is the flow a rack and pinion steering system uses. I would start high and go low. You have to see something wet if that much is leaking. If could be a line, it could be from an end of the rack (inner tie rod area).

Those are the 2 places I can imagine it leaking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything is wet. The entire undercarage is covered in oil. That's why I cant figure out its exact location of the leak. And because it won't ever leak when I'm watching it and I want it to.

Any links to a website or somewhere I can view a detailed map of the power steering system?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Any website that shows a rack and pinion steering will show what you want.

Your problem is its leaking when cold. So fill it, move it around for a minute or so and shut it down. Wait for the leak... It might take 20 minutes, who knows, grab a book.

No link we provide is going to FIND a leak for you.. Watch and wait.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it won't find a leak for me. But it would enable me to learn all of the parts, big and small, there functions, where they are in the vehicle and so on. This way I know what I am looking at.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
You need to get some degreaser and a water hose and get all that gunk off. Then you will be able to find it.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It doesn't really matter right now what everything does, you have the pump, two lines coming off of it, one goes to the rack, the other loops around through the passenger wheel well along the frame rail, around the front, and back, then to the rack. The leak is going to be at the pump, at the rack, or one of those hoses. Given the circumstances that it only leaks after its shut off, I'm betting you will find the leak at the pump.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 2000 Impala leaked where the steel line goes along the frame rail and there is the plastic fender bib that rests on top of it. This cut the steel line at the top, hard to see. The leak shows along the frame rail, right side of car. Took quite a bit to find it.

You cut the plastic away where it cut the line, get 2 compression fittings and a piece of brake line, and your all set. Don't use rubber line here, it will only last a few weeks.

Not too bad, and to fix and see, need just the fittings, a chunk of line, jack the car up on right side, remove tire (remove to see it as well), and remove the section of fender held in by pems. I had a friend start and steer the car while I watched to finally see it shooting out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Mtimpala, I see you're already engaged with forum members regarding DIY troubleshooting. However, I wanted to let you know I'm available via private message if you would like Customer Service to step in and contact your dealer for you at any point.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Impala Rack n Pinion Issues

My wife drives a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. She drives local traffic only. So far, at 38K miles (7 years), the vehicle requires two rack & pinion replacements. There is something wrong with the steering design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts