Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 impala LT

My mom was driving around, and the power steering went on her. When she got home i checked the fluid, and saw there wasn't any. So I added some to it. Then i started it up again to see if it would work correctly again. Nope, no luck. It made a grinding noise when turned (kinda sounded like a belt, but i'm not sure), also it was more noisy than regular during idle. I'm just wondering if it could be a belt, or if i've got a bigger issue going on here. There was pressure in the reservoir after i had it started(it made a pop noise)when i re-opened it, again im not really sure if that's supposed to do that.. Please be patient with me, i'm not a total idiot, but can be damn near close some times :bang:.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
If you heard grinding I would replace the pump before parts go into the other pieces of your system. That said, the fluid had to go somewhere, so I would wait a bit and look for a leak. Sometimes it doesn't leak right away.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Grinding

I agree with changing it if it is actually grinding. The pump will make a noise similar to grinding when it just needs bled. And because you ran it out, it needs to be bled. You cannot just add fluid. I think the easiest way I think I remember on my 06 was to fill it and turn it lock to lock 50 times. I said I think that is what the instructions said if you didn't want to bleed it the factory way.

Jeff

·
Registered
285 Posts
Questions

And don't ever be embarrassed to ask questions. Everyone here does, no-one is an expert. And that's how you learn, one step, thing, or question at a time and it builds up. Next thing you know you come accross something new and you think, hey I remember when I did this, I think that may help with this. It's accumlative.

Jeff

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
My haynes manual states

1. With front wheels turned all the way to the left and the ignition key off, check fluid level and add until "cold mark" is reached on the dipstick
2. Start the engine and allow to run at fast idle. Recheck fluid level and add more if necessary
3. Bleed the system by turning the wheels from side to side, WITHOUT hitting the stops (this is important). DONT allow the steering wheel to lock. Also, do not let the reservoir run out of fluid as this will just cause more air to get into the system.
4. When the air has been worked out of the system return the wheels to straight ahead position and leave engine running for several minutes. Recheck fluid again
5. Road test vehicle and listen for any pump noise or belt whine
6. Recheck fluid once again

Raising the front end is not necessary

The factory way of bleeding the system is to raise the front end and put a vacuum on the reservoir

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bleeding

Thanks G25racer, I could not remember it 100% from when I did mine in 2010. I usually keep all instructions, I have some from the 80's, I just couldn't find the ones that came with the pump.

Jeff

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
No problem. I recommend everyone to get a haynes or similar manual. You would be surprised as to how much useful information is in them. Most people think these manuals are just general knowledge but, in fact they are useful to just about anyone.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Manuals

I never even thought about it. I purchase a manual, and have kept most, for every car I buy. When you mentioned it, I thought, hey I should have one for my 06 LTZ. Went to the garage and looked. I have lots so I forget some. And what the ******

Manual001_zps07156ba5.jpg

Jeff :bang:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^^ Sweet! Don't you love it when you forget about things you have bought?

I am telling you even the best of diy'ers and mechanics will gain from these manuals. There are way too many variances of different makes/models out there to know them all.

·
Registered
954 Posts
bloodsh0t5, I see you're getting DIY input from helpful forum members, but please don't hesitate to send me a private message if you would like me to follow up on any concerns further for you. (Including the last eight of your Impala's VIN in your message would be very helpful.)

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
285 Posts
Manuals and specs

I agree g25racer. I remember before I was a master tech for Harley. I would read the manuals and think that there was nothing in there really. After I got real good, I stopped one day and looked at the manuals. Everything I know was right in there. I just didn't know how to read it properly. I always recommend manuals.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im going to come off as dumb as possible here. Iown a 2010 chevy impala lt 3 5flex. I cant seem to post a new thread so ill post on this one. I lost all my power steering from a leak/hole coming from the steel line that runs along the frame in front of the engine on the drivers side. There is steel line that rubs on top of the one that has the hole. What im wondering is, what is the line that has the hole? Is that the pressure line to the power steering? Any help would be great.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Yes most likely the high pressure line and not the return line

1 - 14 of 14 Posts