Impala Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Chevy Impala Police - 85k miles
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Impala Police Package. My rack and pinion and power steering pump were replaced by my mechanic. He refilled the system with ATF as he insisted that that's what GM vehicles use. I've previously filled the system with regular Prestone power steering fluid. Which is correct?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I have a 2009 Impala Police Package. My rack and pinion and power steering pump were replaced by my mechanic. He refilled the system with ATF as he insisted that that's what GM vehicles use. I've previously filled the system with regular Prestone power steering fluid. Which is correct?

As always - read your vehicle owner’s manual. GM does NOT specify ATF for the power steering system, but rather power steering fluid that meets a specification #89021186 (you would have to read the Prestone bottle to determine if it meets GM specification).

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe it is more about profit than actual need...ATF works fine for seals, high temperatures and gears and was always used years ago. I have used it with out issue in p/s systems. Oh and make sure you ALWAYS use HARLEY OIL in your Harley.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts