Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is an '03 Impala 3.8 engine.

I was driving home from church today early this morning and I was coming around a hard turn. I was going maybe 20 or 30 MPH and it slowly started getting harder and harder. By the time I reached my home I could hardly turn the wheel. I got in my other vehicle and went to the Autozone and purchased 1 bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak (which I poured half the bottle in as directed because it had a good amount of fluid in it, it was at the add line on the dip stick) and 1 bottle of Prestone Power Steering fluid (did not pour any). Tried to drive it down the driveway and back, did not seem to change. My buddies think there could be something wrong with the pump.

What should I do? Should I take it in? Is it something I can fix by myself? If anyone has any ideas that would be great. Thanks!

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Did you let the engine warm up and check level again? Make sure there is enough fluid! Start car and let warm up then, turn wheel fully to the left (dont let the wheel lock/stop) and then to the right. Go back and forth for at least 90 seconds while in park. This will burp the system and get the fluid flowing. Then, check fluid level again and refill if needed. Repeat the burping process and check level once again. If low, check for leaks. In my case the leak was at the high pressure and return lines going to the power steering pump. The lines are crimped on with quick clamps from gm which, are insufficient and will leak over time. I added a "proper" hose clamp on each and the leak was gone. If there is no leak, the pump is likely failing.

Edit: If it is a leak at the hose's and you get it fixed, drain the power steering fluid and refill. Lucas PS stop leak is thick and difficult for the ps pump to move when it is freezing cold. This will cause a Power steering and belt whine in the really cold months. But, if you only put a half quart into the ps pump it shouldn't be that bad. Just a precaution

1 - 3 of 3 Posts