Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so I hope I'm posting in the right forum, if not please move to the correct place.

I searched the forums and can't find anything. The switch for the power recline on the drivers seat got wedged in the back position. I was only out of the car a few minutes but when I got back in the seat back was in full recline and it won't come up. When you move the switch there is no hum, no clicking, nothing, it's dead. I thought maybe the first thing to do would be to check and see if the switch was burned out or maybe had a loose wire but I can't figure out how to remove the side trim panel from the seat. I guess if the switch checks out ok the next step would be to remove the seat and check the motor?

Any suggestions on how to remove that panel or any other suggestions on things to check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
I am sure you have already looked but I thought Maybe check the FUSE for the Power Seats. It should be on the Passenger Kick Panel. I don't know maybe with it being stuck it did an overload and blew the fuse. It is a Place to look first I would think.

I am not sure how to remove one. However I would check fuses before I started breaking parts...

James

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I had a 2008, 2011 & 2012 Impala LTZ. Each had the 8-way driver power seat, with a separate handle for a manual lumbar adjustment.

The manual lumbar adjustment handle is a press fit onto the shaft that protrudes through the seat side-panel. Wiggle it and pull with your hand, and it should come off. On my earlier model Impalas, the handle had a metal clip that had to be removed by pushing the panel in slightly, then using a small screw driver or pic-tool to remove the C-shaped clip.

The side panel has clips that hold it to the side of the seat. After removing the lumbar handle, wiggle the side panel and pull it out, away from the seat. The switches are fastened to the panel from behind.

Out of curiosity - how did the seat switch get wedged?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure you have already looked but I thought Maybe check the FUSE for the Power Seats. It should be on the Passenger Kick Panel. I don't know maybe with it being stuck it did an overload and blew the fuse. It is a Place to look first I would think.

I am not sure how to remove one. However I would check fuses before I started breaking parts...

James
I forgot to mention that, sorry, yeah already checked. Also, another bit I left out, the main power adjustments still work, forward/backward/up/down.
Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a 2008, 2011 & 2012 Impala LTZ. Each had the 8-way driver power seat, with a separate handle for a manual lumbar adjustment.

The manual lumbar adjustment handle is a press fit onto the shaft that protrudes through the seat side-panel. Wiggle it and pull with your hand, and it should come off. On my earlier model Impalas, the handle had a metal clip that had to be removed by pushing the panel in slightly, then using a small screw driver or pic-tool to remove the C-shaped clip.

The side panel has clips that hold it to the side of the seat. After removing the lumbar handle, wiggle the side panel and pull it out, away from the seat. The switches are fastened to the panel from behind.

Out of curiosity - how did the seat switch get wedged?
Welllll, depends on how honest I think my daughter is being LOL. She said she got out to move a sign where she works then got back in so she was only out of the car a few minutes, but says when she got back to the car a water bottle was wedged between the door and switch holding it back and the seat back was all the way back. Now whether or not that's the full story who knows, she's usually pretty straight with me but I'm not stupid enough to think my kid is above bending the truth a little.

And thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Power seat recline broken on 2013 LTZ
Isn't this still under warranty? I remember accidentally breaking a switch once on a loaner car, and, when I took it back, they said it was still under warranty, and fixed it without charge. FWIW.

So I'm thinking, even if you (or your daughter) is at fault here, the dealer will still fix this under warranty.

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't this still under warranty? I remember accidentally breaking a switch once on a loaner car, and, when I took it back, they said it was still under warranty, and fixed it without charge. FWIW.

So I'm thinking, even if you (or your daughter) is at fault here, the dealer will still fix this under warranty.

Doug

I wish it was Doug but no such luck. thanks anyway

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally had a chance to pull the switch. All the seat adjustment switches are mounted on one strip, soldered on so there is no way to replace just one. It would seem to make sense that if the rest of the switches/adjustments work and just one doesn't that the one switch is broken. Tomorrow I start calling salvage yards

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Finally had a chance to pull the switch. All the seat adjustment switches are mounted on one strip, soldered on so there is no way to replace just one. It would seem to make sense that if the rest of the switches/adjustments work and just one doesn't that the one switch is broken. Tomorrow I start calling salvage yards

What did you resolve?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What did you resolve?
I jumped the gun. Had to buy a new switch, turns out it wasn't the switch, so I guess that just leaves the motor. I removed the seat and from what I can see, the motor for the power recline is in the seat back in the bottom and I see no way to get to it. I called a salvage yard, a complete seat is $200. I'm thinking at this point IF someone can fix it I'm going to be looking at more than that for a motor and the labor to replace it. I'm going to check one more place but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up buying a complete seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update
I'd resigned myself to replacing the seat with one from the salvage yard then figured, what the heck, I'm not out anything if I tear it apart anyway, so I just started looking for things to unhook, bolts to take out, covers to remove. I'f I'd looked at things closer I might have found it before separating the seat back and bottom, who knows, I'm a rookie, but what I found was the power wires going from the base to the motot in the back had been pinched in the recline hinge at full recline. The little plastic wire loom didn't do anything, so one of the wires was severed. So I soldered it up and checked it, BINGO, everything worked, so I put something more than wire loom over it to protect it, put everything back together and I'm in business.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I bought an 8-way switch that I don't need. The seller does not accept returns on electrical items so if anybody needs one hit me up, I'll make you a good deal on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar symptom. Can you provide more context on where you found this wire? I have taken the back off the seat but haven't taken anything else apart yet. Wondering what I need to take off to check this wire?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts