Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new 2008 Impala owner. I own a Lt with the luxury group (leather seats etc) with about 95,000 miles. It will be my daughters car if a few months when she turns 16.

I've had a couple of problems that are common, the front speakers don't work, which I will fix today, and the power door lock on the drivers rear didn't work. I probably would have let this slide, but the manual button is on the rear of the door so you can reach it from the front door.

I replaced this myself, it took about 2 hours to fix, but it seemed like it took 8 hours. Thanks to the people that put together the sticky, and the you tube video helped.

A couple of things, I couldn't get the manual lock rod hooked up with the power lock setup in the car, I had to install it first and than install the entire unit, which was very difficult. Most of your time is just getting the unit in position, and the window track is what you are fighting.

An important point which shows up in the video is to remove the window track bolt, you have to slide things past it to get the lock unit installed.

Make sure you get the wiring installed correctly. There are some holes in the door that the wiring loom installs with clips. After I finished my install we tested everything and the window wouldn't go down all the way. I had the wiring under the window so it hit the wiring and the window would only go down about 2/3 thirds of the way. I had to take the door panel off again and move the wiring in the correct position.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it was a dealer item. I should have shopped around on line, I'm sure I could have gotten some kind of discount, but at my local dealer, it was a $199 part.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll add one more thing. The door handle rod was a little difficult to get disconnected. You have to do it while its in the car. There are a couple of holes in the door that are covered up with a duck tape like stuff. Take those off and it allows a little viewing hole to see in the door. With a little screw driver, I was able to pop the plastic clip off holding this rod. The new part had a different clip and was fairly easy to put the rod in and get it clipped.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another tip, when removing the cable that operates the inside door handle, there are two little ears that you have to squeeze together, then slide the entire assembly to the back, this will then allow you to pull the cable out of the fitting on the door handle. It goes in the same way, put the cable in the fitting, then just slide the entire assembly in from the back.

This isn't really obvious when taking it apart your reaction is to pull the entire thing sideways off the door panel, but this will break the plastic part that hold the cable in place. I know I''ve got a hose clamp holding mine in place now on the drivers door.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts