Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum. I have recently been fixing up my 2001 3.8L LS and just finished assembling and installing the components for my transmission as I had snapped the forward band. At first the car started fine and had no noticeable issues, but because I had not quite put the brakes on yet, I didn't try shifting into gear. After I put the brakes on, I go to start the car, and as the key turns to the on position (before cranking) I hear a very loud pop from the area of the fuse box and all power to the car shuts off (no lights, dash, horn, or even pressing buttons on my key fob). I checked the fuse box and nothing seemed blown (a relay freaking out maybe?) It seems to reset when I disconnect the battery and all electronics operate normally until I go to start the car again. Any advice or pointers would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe clean connections and inspect for buildup?
Mine was having "ghost" until I did this myself.
Since I last posted, disconnecting the battery no longer does anything noticeable (battery isn't losing charge, I checked with multimeter) and the dash does not respond when inserting the key. Now that it's not responding at all, I figure the issue may be in the ignition or the starting circuit. I cleaned the engine bay as best I could, disconnected any connections I could find and sprayed them with electrical cleaner. After it dries, I'll head back outside and look around the wiring for anything noticeable. None of the connections I checked had any buildup far as I could tell

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I also disconnected the battery ground to chassis and cleaned it with a wire brush and some penetrating oil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: after dismantling the front half of the engine bay and cleaning everything with a religious mix of pressure washer, wire brush, and electrical connector cleaner, the car starts. Fingers crossed when I go to start it tomorrow, that answer does not change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts