Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '03 Impala has the am/fm cd/cass radio and I'm wondering if anybody has added bluetooth. I've searched without a clear answer. Can't quite find a kit either. An aux port wouldn't be outta the question. Wanna keep the factory look vs. installing an aftermarket radio. There is a company that adds aux and bluetooth to these radios, but has nothing in stock...and pretty expensive. Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
198 Posts
When the dust settles on this inquiry, ... I would guess adding Bluetooth to a factory Radio will be far more challenging than simply adding a Bluetooth Radio into a Factory Car!

The snag is the AUX input delete.

The design team figured most folks would appreciate the AUX Input.
As AUX Inputs go, ... the lower right front Jack Input is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the dust settles on this inquiry, ... I would guess adding Bluetooth to a factory Radio will be far more challenging than simply adding a Bluetooth Radio into a Factory Car!

The snag is the AUX input delete.

The design team figured most folks would appreciate the AUX Input.
As AUX Inputs go, ... the lower right left Jack Input is hardly noticeable.
Agree. I'm not against adding an aux port, but can't seem to find the correct kit for this radio.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a little unit that plugs into the cigarette lighter and plays bluetooth over an unused FM band. Works pretty well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a little unit that plugs into the cigarette lighter and plays bluetooth over an unused FM band. Works pretty well.
Yeah, I tried one of those. Could never get it to sound good. Too much static. Thanks though.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
There are outfits that install bluetooth in factory head units. They're kinda pricey and I'm not sure how integrated the approach is. It may be just A2DP and you're on your own with the phone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are outfits that install bluetooth in factory head units. They're kinda pricey and I'm not sure how integrated the approach is. It may be just A2DP and you're on your own with the phone.
Yeah, been talking to that company. They have nothing in stock at the moment. They supply Jegs, so same deal. I asked about sending them my radio to have it modified, but said they don't do that at the moment. Looks like I may be outta luck. I would just replace the radio, but would like to keep the stock look and not lose the car settings functions built into the radio.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I've seen some writeups on how to mod even older transistor and tube AM/FM car radios to install bluetooth or 3.5" audio in.
If you are just looking for a cord free aux in I would think it wouldn't be terrible to do.
I know proof positive you can add a 3.5" AUX jack to the class II databuss radios in the Gen VI & Gen VII Impala.

Further integration like coding the up and down arrow buttons to control the up and down on your audio player software would need a bit more horsepower.

Reactions: CT77

·
Registered
51 Posts
That Jeg's radio would be slick! Too bad they're out of stock on them.
Yeah, I tried one of those. Could never get it to sound good. Too much static. Thanks though.
What one did you try? There's a bunch of different makers and styles of those things and I gotta imagine quality may vary. I just purchased one myself actually for an old '08 GMT360 platform that only has a CD player w/the stock Nav stereo. The transmitter seems to work great, and I stream XM to it from my phone with no issue on testing. I haven't gotten a lot of seat time with it yet since I just bought it, I haven't even messed around with EQ modes.. but tomorrow I'll get a LOT, as I'm heading out on a 3.5 hr drive 1-way. I'm expecting to have to adjust stations as I go along (since you need a station with absolute static, and that'll change from city to city/town to town), but I'll have a co-pilot with so that'll be his job. This is the one I got - KM18 Color Bluetooth FM Transmitter | Nulaxy
Otherwise.. Is there a specific reason you have to have bluetooth? Or would a direct cable to your phone be doable? I ask because this transmitter also comes with a jack/cable that can be used for a direct connection from phone to transmitter, no worries about adjusting stations if on a long trip or the like. And as far as direct connections go, for a while I used the cassette tape to aux cable method and plugged into my phone that way to listen to the XM & also hands-free calls over the speakers in my Impala. That's a cheap and effective method as well. My particular unit didn't last super long though before the connection became iffy, but I don't drive the Impala anymore really and it'll be for sale very soon, as soon as I find my title back that's playing hide-n-seek with me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That Jeg's radio would be slick! Too bad they're out of stock on them.

What one did you try? There's a bunch of different makers and styles of those things and I gotta imagine quality may vary. I just purchased one myself actually for an old '08 GMT360 platform that only has a CD player w/the stock Nav stereo. The transmitter seems to work great, and I stream XM to it from my phone with no issue on testing. I haven't gotten a lot of seat time with it yet since I just bought it, I haven't even messed around with EQ modes.. but tomorrow I'll get a LOT, as I'm heading out on a 3.5 hr drive 1-way. I'm expecting to have to adjust stations as I go along (since you need a station with absolute static, and that'll change from city to city/town to town), but I'll have a co-pilot with so that'll be his job. This is the one I got - KM18 Color Bluetooth FM Transmitter | Nulaxy
Otherwise.. Is there a specific reason you have to have bluetooth? Or would a direct cable to your phone be doable? I ask because this transmitter also comes with a jack/cable that can be used for a direct connection from phone to transmitter, no worries about adjusting stations if on a long trip or the like. And as far as direct connections go, for a while I used the cassette tape to aux cable method and plugged into my phone that way to listen to the XM & also hands-free calls over the speakers in my Impala. That's a cheap and effective method as well. My particular unit didn't last super long though before the connection became iffy, but I don't drive the Impala anymore really and it'll be for sale very soon, as soon as I find my title back that's playing hide-n-seek with me.
I agree. The Jegs/1 factory radio would be the way to go. Maybe someday they'll get them back in stock.

The FM modulator I tried did not have the screen and all that like the one you posted in the link. Just couldn't seem to find a station that worked well. Everything had static in the background. And I like my music, so can't have that! Lol! Not against an aux cord, just thought if I could install bluetooth it would be one less thing hanging in the way. I have an aux in my other vehicle, so if that's what it takes, I'll do it.

So the bluetooth module you have, when you plug an aux cord into it, do you still have to find a free radio station? I guess at this point it's an option and I appreciate the info. Seems like there would be a lot going on/clutter in that little ashtray area...With the module, cord, phone. Might have to just get use to it. I'll look into it. Thanks.

If I trusted myself tearing into the factory radio to solder up a aux input, I would just do that. The video I watched looked sketchy to me. Really surprised there isn't a company out there that you can send your radio to and have it done. Gonna have to look deeper into that. This car only has 35k miles, so plenty of life left and I would like to have it done right since I'll have it awhile.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree. The Jegs/1 factory radio would be the way to go. Maybe someday they'll get them back in stock.

The FM modulator I tried did not have the screen and all that like the one you posted in the link. Just couldn't seem to find a station that worked well. Everything had static in the background. And I like my music, so can't have that! Lol! Not against an aux cord, just thought if I could install bluetooth it would be one less thing hanging in the way. I have an aux in my other vehicle, so if that's what it takes, I'll do it.

So the bluetooth module you have, when you plug an aux cord into it, do you still have to find a free radio station? I guess at this point it's an option and I appreciate the info. Seems like there would be a lot going on/clutter in that little ashtray area...With the module, cord, phone. Might have to just get use to it. I'll look into it. Thanks.

If I trusted myself tearing into the factory radio to solder up a aux input, I would just do that. The video I watched looked sketchy to me. Really surprised there isn't a company out there that you can send your radio to and have it done. Gonna have to look deeper into that. This car only has 35k miles, so plenty of life left and I would like to have it done right since I'll have it awhile.
WoW, 35k on an '03 eh? Who was sitting on that one? It's not the type of car to store or not drive over the years, not like it's an SS or something.

That's a valid question about needing a station while using the aux cord, I thought about that too after I posted, and I'm not exactly sure since I haven't tried it yet, I've just ran it cordless so far. I don't have the instructions in front of me ATM, they're in the truck for the road trip tomorrow, so I'll have to try it out tomorrow and let you know for sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WoW, 35k on an '03 eh? Who was sitting on that one? It's not the type of car to store or not drive over the years, not like it's an SS or something.

That's a valid question about needing a station while using the aux cord, I thought about that too after I posted, and I'm not exactly sure since I haven't tried it yet, I've just ran it cordless so far. I don't have the instructions in front of me ATM, they're in the truck for the road trip tomorrow, so I'll have to try it out tomorrow and let you know for sure.
Ok, thanks. Yeah, was my great aunt's car. She bought it brand new, always serviced at the dealer. She's unable to drive now. Wasn't a car I was looking for, but in that condition, it was dumb not to buy it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My '03 Impala has the am/fm cd/cass radio and I'm wondering if anybody has added bluetooth. I've searched without a clear answer. Can't quite find a kit either. An aux port wouldn't be outta the question. Wanna keep the factory look vs. installing an aftermarket radio. There is a company that adds aux and bluetooth to these radios, but has nothing in stock...and pretty expensive. Any info is appreciated!
You may want to look into Bluestar II. I have an 05 Impala and added this. Relatively cheap and an easy install. Works well too. I'm now able to play music via my cell or iPod through the car speakers as well as make calls using the car speakers and mirror mounted mic that's part of the OnStar package.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You may want to look into Bluestar II. I have an 05 Impala and added this. Relatively cheap and an easy install. Works well too. I'm now able to play music via my cell or iPod through the car speakers as well as make calls using the car speakers and mirror mounted mic that's part of the OnStar package.
That's interesting...I'll look into that. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Costar Bluestar modules seem to be discountinued and not available anymore...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The Costar Bluestar modules seem to be discontinued and not available anymore...
That's too bad. Those look like a pretty slick widget. Plenty of people would still be interested.

Reactions: CT77
1 - 20 of 20 Posts