Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have researched I am pretty sure I'm gong to have to go through fixing the dreaded steam vent while the engine is still in the car...

I went outside today to go to 7 11 . My girl noticed the puddle on the passenger side of the 94 Chevy .IT HAS BEEN SWAPPED BY PREVIOUS OWNER, BUT IT IS AN IRON BLOCK FROM BEFORE 1996 . I thanked my girl, I'd rather not overheat and take any chances trying to get home once I would have learned about the leak later .

It is enough that I no longer have any in my overflow tank, so I am expecting to have to refill and bleed the system once I fix the leak .

Since I have yet to ever get a leak here, I am honestly scared to try and undo the bolts only to round them out, especially since the engine will be still in the car (hood blew off recently do to painting the grille and trusting zip ties for a ride to the parts store) so I will not have to remove the hood to get easier access .

I found this:Coolant Crossover AN Conversion, Part List and Pictures. - LS1TECH

It seems like a lot of work since I believe only the passenger side is leaking . I may replace the coolant connections if ever I get a reason to pull the engine .

I guess my concern is that everyone I have read about has said replacing the washer/gasket is what will more than likely fix the leak . I am scared to run the car as I don't know how much coolant was lost since I parked the car last night ... As I understand if it is my steam vent l waking, it can only leak from the connection, or a crack in the metal tubing ? Am I correct ?

Also, is it worth starting and idling the car until I see the leak myself before doing the work ? What if I no longer have coolant? Will I notice before the rear cylinders overheat ? This is my 3rd bubble Chevy, 2nd lt1, but first coolant problem besides a radiator hose . I have read as much as I can from others experiences, and about our reverse cooling, looking at diagrams, etc. I know I a going to just have to jump into it eventually, but would like any advice or heads up on problems I may expect from anyone who has experience with a stupid passenger side ghost leak, which I am pretty sure if I understand everything correctly can only be a couple things on the rear passenger side of then engine..?? (Besides major gasket seals)

Thanks a lot

Here are some good links about this which I have read maybe they will help others:

LT1 Reverse Flow Cooling System

(LT1 Question) Installing a new rear coolant vent tube - Corvette Forum

LT1 Steam Vent Tube Washers Needed - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I put in about a half gallon more of water today and let the car run until at running temperature. The leaking was a couple drips constantly, not too fast at all . But I can not see where it:yahoo:I s coming from . I put my hands behind the engine block at both of the steam vent fittings and didn't get any water on my hands.... I plan to drive until the. Leak is enough to worry about, and continue to keep my coolant level up ......but......

What else could be leaking from mother passenger rear with our cooling system ? Which engine seals ? The water is brown with rust from running down the underside of chassis, it is not spraying...yet .

Thanks .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correction.... I finally found the leak, it is on the firewall behind the passenger side of the engine . Right where my air conditioner tube go into the firewall, the leak is coming from behind the black padding against the firewall .

It is leaking constant drips, why is this ? I ran it hard the other day so I figured maybe I blew a seal or the air vents, but why would my firewall drip coolant ? Does the ac lines run in sequence with the rest of the cooling system ?

Thanks.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Probably the heater hose connections, possibly even the heater core.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So to service the heater core would that be behind the firewall? Is that where the tubes from the ac condenser to?

I'm going to read up on whats behind the firewall .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see how the heater core works now and where's it's location is . I am going to check mycinsides to see if the floor mat isnwet . If its only the outside drip, then I will probably run her until it completely busts . I am assuming when it is no longer manageable I will have to replace the entire heating core from behind the air bag and dash ?.?.?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It's not very likely that it's the heater core itself, from your description it sounds more like bad hoses. I'm not sure how they connect on those, is it a standard hose clamp? Or does it use those crappy fittings? If it uses the fittings, that's most likely your issue. If it uses hose clamps, try replacing the hoses and clamps.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are metal hoses with it looks like bolts or screw on attachments right against the spongy rear padding of the firewall . I can feel the firewall padding is wet where it's dripping, but I can't even feel which metal attachment is coming from.

If I unscrew them, what will happen ? Well I lose ALL my fluid at once ? Can I just keep riding and topping the coolant off ?

What about a temporary fix using that BLUE ANGEL glass type sealant ?.. It's homogenous and hardens under operating temperature and gets into the grooves to make a glass type seal ? I have used it in the past on a Toyota corolla and it sealed the rear seal coolant leak .

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try soon. It seems to leak somedays and less others if even at all . I keep I topped off .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been looking over my cooling system and I think the person who had it before me has done some 'rigging'.

My overflow tank has a pressure cap, and o ly has one hose leading to the engine, the other hose is plugged off . Therefore, I think the coolant is just flowing back and forth between the single hose, instead of making a complete circle through the engine . The engine temperature stays where it should, unless its a real to day and I'm sitting in traffic, I have to ten on the cooling fan manually .

Has anyone else rigged their cooling system this way? I figure as long as the pressure can be relieved through the cap, and the temperature stays low, it should be ok . Except for every once in a while when it leaks some of the coolant behind the engine block as I mentioned in an earlier post ...

Anyone have experienced input n this topic ???

Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Btw, I now have a 1994 caprice with an lt1 swapped n before I purchased it . I no longer have the 2010 impala .
Also, a pic would not do much good since the engine is s close to the firewall, the leak is not visible .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts