Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my name is Neil. I own a 2004 impala ss indy edition. I got her fairly recently with 101,000 or so miles on her but she's got her issues to go with it.
to start off she is misfiring on cylinder 3 with a bank1 system lean code to follow. p0303, p0171. I've narrowed it down to what i think are burnt valves as spark plugs, wires and coil have been replaced. did a compression test on cylinders 1, 3, 5. 1 and 5 were 120, while cylinder 3 was at 70 psi. i also put oil in spark plug hole to check rings and pressure stayed at around 70.

My question is should i go ahead and do all valves on both heads, do valves for just 1,3,5, or can i get away with just cylinder 3 intake and exhaust valves? and should i replace the head gasket(s) while im in there?

·
Registered
494 Posts
You're going to have to take off the intake anyway to get the head off for #3, so i would take off the other head, and send them both to the machine shop, and have them do a complete valve job on them both. Also, that way they can put new seals on all 16 valves. Another possibility is, you have a leaky head gasket, not a burnt valve. You have to replace the head gasket if you remove the head on any engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts