Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a dent about the size of a foot, not a solid circle sorta two dents with a crease in the middle . I got quotes of around $200 . the dent is not terrible but just bothers me . how much should I pay to get a dent.. Or two removed . or should I forgot about it until I find a cheap white door ..... Advice , ideas, thoughts ???

Thanks

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I would shop for a cheap door before I had any body work done. Body work is almost always expensive.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull the door panel off and pop the dent back out and see how it looks first
Good freaking idea. I guess I should be able to get to the metal through layers of foam and mess .....

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
have you tried a plunger lol?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
If you remove the panel, move the plastic sheet and have the window rolled up, you should have plenty of access to the inside metal part of the door.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Make sure to get the tools for pulling the door panels off. These door panels are hard to find replacements for, and freaking expensive when you are able to find one.

·
Drinks Gasoline
237 Posts
Whatever you use to press against the back side of the outer door sheet metal, make sure that it's very broad and won't leave its own marks. A 2x3 carved to the right angle would possibly be a good choice. Definitely do not use something like a broom handle.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to try to remove door panel., I don't want a special tool if I can find another way . screwdriver maybe .???

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Large flat blade or stiff putty knife will work if you are careful and depending on age of fasteners. Might have to replace some if they break

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
I always use a screw driver to pop one or 2 of the clips (you have to find them and pry right on the clip) and then use my hands to pry up the rest. This isn't ideal (using the clip popper tool, dont know what to call it, is the preferred way) but if you're careful, and back off if you feel like you're about to break something, then you should be fine.

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
Additionally, My junkyard charges $50 for a complete door (glass, door panel, etc.) so replacing the whole door would be cheaper than the body work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can you post a pic of the dent? Location of a dent can make a big difference as to how it should be popped out.

Been doing body work close to 30 years and I have seen peeps do the "do it yourself way"and it only ended up costing them more in the end.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Additionally, My junkyard charges $50 for a complete door (glass, door panel, etc.) so replacing the whole door would be cheaper than the body work.

I would go that route man

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I popped two major parts of the dent out with a dent plunger thing . I was LUCKY it worked . Barely any marks left . But I STILL need a hood, I have about $150 and am hoping to find an aftermarket lightweight hood, or at least one with a hood scoop .

Thanks for all the advice , feels good to have the major part of the dent pulled out . I am glad I didn't even have to remove the panel .:hope:

·
Drinks Gasoline
237 Posts
You're not going to find a new fiberglass or carbon fiber hood cheap. From a cursory google shopping search, you're looking at more than $600 before shipping for an off-the-shelf fiberglass hood with cowl or scoop, and no one lists a carbon fiber hood where google can find it, so it's likely that it'd have to be custom ordered. New steel hoods with cowls or scoops are more than $450, most more than $500.

If I were you, I'd call the local wrecking yards. Ask about hoods in your paint color for the car. Write down who has hoods that are the wrong color but fit, and how much, and if the can tell you about any blemishes. If you find the right color with few blems, great, if not, go back over the list and got pick up the best priced hood relative to the blems and get it fixed at Maaco or the like. Get the car back into one piece and one color, then when money isn't so tight, concern yourself with replacing the stock hood with an aftermarket unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts