Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I got my equipment installed. Thanks to all of those who contributed to my post - I was able to put together a pretty kick ass setup.

http://www.impalaforums.com/audio-video-and-electronics/1209369-09-lt-speaker-and-hu-upgrade-help.html

I went with a Kenwood DDX492. My only gripe now is the poor AM radio reception. So far it sounds good on FM but i practically get no AM stations. I have read on different forums that the remote wire needs to be used to amplify the antenna? Is this correct or is Kenwood a lame duck on AM? Any help or insight i could get would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Hello folks,

I got my equipment installed. Thanks to all of those who contributed to my post - I was able to put together a pretty kick ass setup.

http://www.impalaforums.com/audio-video-and-electronics/1209369-09-lt-speaker-and-hu-upgrade-help.html

I went with a Kenwood DDX492. My only gripe now is the poor AM radio reception. So far it sounds good on FM but i practically get no AM stations. I have read on different forums that the remote wire needs to be used to amplify the antenna? Is this correct or is Kenwood a lame duck on AM? Any help or insight i could get would be greatly appreciated.

I know with my Pioneer I have no issues with AM at all. No need to amplify the antenna, I would just say either the radio isn't good for AM, or the antenna isn't connected good enough behind the radio. Pretty sure Ryd Slo has a Kenwood so hopefully he will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Hello folks,

My Kenwood DNX9980HD has horrible reception. I don't remember it being this bad, but my mom is driving that car now and she can't get any reception at all. Haven't found a solution.

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
I have a Kenwood, and have no issues with FM reception. I don't listen to AM, so I really don't know what my AM reception is like. I will try it tomorrow and let you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried unplugging and reattaching the antenna cable but no dice. I really hope that this HU doesn't have a defective AM receiver. I may try out an antenna amplifier otherwise I may have to return this HU. FM sounds fine though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I figured it out! First thing is i needed to know what the antenna amp wire color is on the factory harness. I went to this site to get that: (Its pink)
2008 Chevrolet Impala Car Stereo Wiring Color Codes

I ran an extension directly to the factory wire (Pink) from the HU (Blue - ANT CONT). Turned it on and it worked like the factory radio. Crystal clear AM Radio.

Attachments

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
That's great news! Glad you got it figured out :eek:k3:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Additional item to check for poor AM reception

I realize this tread has had no replies in about 3 years, but it was helpful recently to begin my search. I have a 2008 LTZ and a 2008 SS. The LTZ had the upgraded 6-CD changer Head Unit with MP3 and Bose sound system, and the AM reception out here in the country is not bad - pretty much what I would expect being 30 or more miles or from radio towers. The SS has the single CD with MP3 and base sound system. I bought it used and from day-one it had very poor AM reception along with a lot of engine static. I figured the cheaper radio was to blame, however the antenna trigger solution in this thread got me to mulling it over again. I am not sure what the pink trigger wire did for your after-market radio, but I suspect it just supplied power to some antenna amplifier. I wasn't sure.

In my case both were factory radios and all was connected as should be in the dash so I was wondering if there was an antenna amplifier external to the head unit that was at fault or not connected properly? I could not find any complete wiring diagrams to show if there was a powered amplifier up in the headliner area. Everything I read about the headliner advised AGAINST trying to take it down as the side-curtain airbags are built-in and the prevailing wisdom seemed to suggest leaving that for someone certified who knows how to do it safely. Well that stank for a DIYer - I have studied and practiced how to do other air-bag maintenance safely. Common-sense prevailed and I held off until I found out more. There ain't much on antennas except how to install a new one or replace one on a GM vehicle that is easier to get to.

At any rate, while thinking about running a camera up under the lip of the headliner I was curious enough to run my fingers up at the rear edge of the headliner where it meets the rear windshield. On the SS my fingers could feel (out of sight) a loose wire with an end like an electrical connector to a windshield. Going back to the LTZ I laid down in the back-seat and looked straight up, there attached to the top of the rear window grid and visible was the same wire type that I felt in the SS. At the SS again and with a flashlight I looked at the top of the windshield and could see a brass snap securely attached to the top of the windshield where near where the wire should come out, thank God! It took some work but I eventually fished the wire out of the headliner and it snapped tightly right on the windshield like it was supposed to. A quick test turning on the radio confirmed I could bring in all the stations just like the LTZ. Yay!

Am thing the rear windshield had been replaced before I bought it - the tech just forgot to plug it in. I wish all my repairs were this easy.
:) :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I realize this tread has had no replies in about 3 years, but it was helpful recently to begin my search. I have a 2008 LTZ and a 2008 SS. The LTZ had the upgraded 6-CD changer Head Unit with MP3 and Bose sound system, and the AM reception out here in the country is not bad - pretty much what I would expect being 30 or more miles or from radio towers. The SS has the single CD with MP3 and base sound system. I bought it used and from day-one it had very poor AM reception along with a lot of engine static. I figured the cheaper radio was to blame, however the antenna trigger solution in this thread got me to mulling it over again. I am not sure what the pink trigger wire did for your after-market radio, but I suspect it just supplied power to some antenna amplifier. I wasn't sure.

In my case both were factory radios and all was connected as should be in the dash so I was wondering if there was an antenna amplifier external to the head unit that was at fault or not connected properly? I could not find any complete wiring diagrams to show if there was a powered amplifier up in the headliner area. Everything I read about the headliner advised AGAINST trying to take it down as the side-curtain airbags are built-in and the prevailing wisdom seemed to suggest leaving that for someone certified who knows how to do it safely. Well that stank for a DIYer - I have studied and practiced how to do other air-bag maintenance safely. Common-sense prevailed and I held off until I found out more. There ain't much on antennas except how to install a new one or replace one on a GM vehicle that is easier to get to.

At any rate, while thinking about running a camera up under the lip of the headliner I was curious enough to run my fingers up at the rear edge of the headliner where it meets the rear windshield. On the SS my fingers could feel (out of sight) a loose wire with an end like an electrical connector to a windshield. Going back to the LTZ I laid down in the back-seat and looked straight up, there attached to the top of the rear window grid and visible was the same wire type that I felt in the SS. At the SS again and with a flashlight I looked at the top of the windshield and could see a brass snap securely attached to the top of the windshield where near where the wire should come out, thank God! It took some work but I eventually fished the wire out of the headliner and it snapped tightly right on the windshield like it was supposed to. A quick test turning on the radio confirmed I could bring in all the stations just like the LTZ. Yay!

Am thing the rear windshield had been replaced before I bought it - the tech just forgot to plug it in. I wish all my repairs were this easy.

:) :)
Happened to me in my 13 also. Must had knocked it off washing the window

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts