Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission went at 73,000 miles and with $4000 later, I had a GM remanufactured unit. Fortunately it was covered by an extended warranty. So, time to upgrade to an external cooler. Seen several aftermarket add ons but no Police upgrade on an SS.
I purchased all parts needed, cooler,lines, line clip and bolts from GM and set to install. A couple hours later it was complete and as it should have been installed originally. Attached are photos.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for posting! Perfect timing since I am in the process of doing an auxiliary cooler install, albeit using an aftermarket cooler (much less expensive). Kudos to you for doing it and I appreciate the pics of what the front looks like undressed.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
This should've been an option you could ask for on the not-cop cars... Even as a dealer-installed option it would've been nice.

http://www.impalaforums.com/8th-gen-drivetrain/332644-9c3-trans-cooler-for-2012-impala-ltz.html

The LFX/6T75 transmission cooler GM installed on the 9C1/9C3 Taxi/Cop cars is around $37 on Amazon. It will fit on the 2006-2011 4T65E 4 speed cars.

If you have a 4T65E 4 speed I would recommend the arrangement I used to plumb my own using GM parts.

The 2012 AC Delco 20918529 Aux cooler is $37 on Amazon.
The 2012 AC Delco 20892944 Radiator top fitting to Bottom AUX Cooler fitting hose. Less than $30 most places.
The 2012 AC Delco 20863972 Top AUX Cooler fitting to Transmission hose. Again less than $30 most places.

I kept the whole original 2006-2011 4T65E 4 speed trans to Lower Radiator transmission cooler pipe and hose.

I made a hybrid of the Aux Cooler section of the 20863972 return line and Transmission section of the original 4T65E 4 speed return line.
I completely removed the rubber line and crimp ferrules then shortened one or both... It's been several years. I think it was both but don't quote me on it.
I do remember de-burring the cuts and then beading the ends of the cut tube(s) with my Parker tool.
The cut-off hardlines purposely left enough room to fit a 3/8" Magnefine inline transmission filter using short chunks of SAE J1019 Transmission cooler hose and German Fuel Injection clamps. The Fuel Injection clamps I used are overkill... I just had em in a drawer and no spring clamps in the right size. Whatever you do... Don't use "Ideal" type worm clamps on 3/8" ID hose.

You should be able to comfortably do this for less than $100 on a Saturday afternoon including a $25 metal body Magnefine filter and $5-$10 at O'Riley for 12" of SAE J1019 hose and a handful of Spring Band clamps...

You'll need some miscellaneous speed nuts and machine screws as well but it's generally an easy install.

It'll generally look like GM installed it that way. Mine did. My Hayden LPD cooler doesn't drop the temps that much over what that 2012 factory cooler did and the Hayden is not as cheap or clean an install.

I keep telling myself I'm going to install a shop made spin-on filter mount for the Allison-1000/Saturn Transmission filter/magnet but it hasn't made it to the top of the list. GM used an oddball thread pitch nipple for those filters so you can't buy an off-the-shelf filter head. As easy as the Magnefine is to service... It may never get to the top of the list.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Anyone know the difference between the aforementioned 2012 AC Delco 20918529 Aux cooler and the one spec'd for the 2014-2016 Impala Limited models, part # 23133113? From pics they look the same, but......unless you can compare them side by side, no way to be sure.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Anyone know the difference between the aforementioned 2012 AC Delco 20918529 Aux cooler and the one spec'd for the 2014-2016 Impala Limited models, part # 23133113? From pics they look the same, but......unless you can compare them side by side, no way to be sure.
All I can tell you is the 2012 part fits on the 06-11 vehicles... Specifically my 2009.

Why bother with the 23133113? It's $176.

The 20918529 is $35 on Amazon with Prime two day shipping. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-20918529-Equipment-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B007Q1BOOM

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just installed an aftermarket unit I had left over from a previous car - bought but never installed before selling the car. Required a little creativity, but thoroughly pleased with the end product.

Whether installing an OEM GM unit or an aftermarket one, an auxiliary transmission cooler is CHEAP INSURANCE. Been installing these along with transmission drain plugs for years and haven't had to rebuild a transmission once. Highly recommend everyone consider doing it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
All I can tell you is the 2012 part fits on the 06-11 vehicles... Specifically my 2009.

Why bother with the 23133113? It's $176.

The 20918529 is $35 on Amazon with Prime two day shipping. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-20918529-Equipment-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B007Q1BOOM
The price is attractive, but if it doesn't, for some strange General Motors reason, fit my 2014 Limited LTZ, $35.00 stops being a bargain. If I am going to spring for OEM parts prices, I'd like to make certain it fits, otherwise there isn't much difference from a universal cooler.

I appreciate the link and the enthusiasm, but GM has burned me before when I "assumed" something should fit.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The price is attractive, but if it doesn't, for some strange General Motors reason, fit my 2014 Limited LTZ, $35.00 stops being a bargain. If I am going to spring for OEM parts prices, I'd like to make certain it fits, otherwise there isn't much difference from a universal cooler.

I appreciate the link and the enthusiasm, but GM has burned me before when I "assumed" something should fit.
At $35 it's cheap enough to make it worth looking into.

The 2012-2016 radiator support is the same part number from the crash parts guys.

Since I know the 2012 part fits the metal of the 2009 chassis and the rad support is the same from 2007-2011 my educated guess is the cooler mounting ears will handle whatever small variations there are in the area where GM originally mounted it on the 9Cx vehicles.

As far as the lines go... Get the 2012 rad to aux line and aux to transmission "return" line. Since you have the 6T7x transmission you don't even need to mod the return line the way I did.

·
Registered
174 Posts
At $35 it's cheap enough to make it worth looking into.

The 2012-2016 radiator support is the same part number from the crash parts guys.

Since I know the 2012 part fits the metal of the 2009 chassis and the rad support is the same from 2007-2011 my educated guess is the cooler mounting ears will handle whatever small variations there are in the area where GM originally mounted it on the 9Cx vehicles.

As far as the lines go... Get the 2012 rad to aux line and aux to transmission "return" line. Since you have the 6T7x transmission you don't even need to mod the return line the way I did.
Already installed an aftermarket unit. Not inclined to take it apart again. Took a little fabrication work, but pleased with the outcome.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Already installed an aftermarket unit. Not inclined to take it apart again. Took a little fabrication work, but pleased with the outcome.
There ya go. If you have one mounted and plumbed you're done.
I went from GM to aftermarket in the mistaken assumption it would make a large difference in transmission cooling performance... The actual difference was small enough that I felt I'd wasted my time. :D

I would recommend adding a Magnefine to the return line plumbing especially on the 6T7x with the "non user serviceable" strainer.

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, I looked at the photos I think that simple advice here will not get off. Better call the repair service they will definitely be able to help. Trust my experience that it's better not to fix it yourself. I remember when I was given a refrigerator I didn't really understand how to use it and apparently broke something accidentally. It's good that here https://ianboer.com.au/commercial-refrigeration/ where I bought it, I was allowed to change this refrigerator to a new one. So now if I have at least some equipment in my house fails, then I immediately call for repairs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts