Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, my first post here.
I was curious to know the police packs are remotely similar to either the Lt or ltz models, or are they truly set apart?
The pp's seem cool but if the same came be found in civilian form that would be cool too.
Also.. anyone in there have police pack? How do you find them?
Thanks
Fab

·
Registered
119 Posts
What year Impala are you talking about ? There is no Police Package for the 2014-2020 Impala, only for the 2006-2013 Impala and the 2014-16 Impala Limited.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bowtie...probably the 2010-2012.
In terms of engines i think it was either the 3.6 or 3.9? Which one wouldbe better? I think these year models got stabilitrak??

On a side question...how did the 3.5 compare to these?
Fab

·
Registered
119 Posts
3.6 will be the best, but it's only found on later models 2012-2013 Impala & 2014-2016 Impala Limited.
You may get better info if you move this to the 8th Generation Section as this Forum considers the 2014-2020 to be 9th Generation.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The DOHC VVT 3.6 is a much more complex engine and will not tolerate neglect as well as some older engines, but the design lends itself to making great power, 305 HP. It has proven to be pretty reliable as GM has used it in everything from Cadillac's & Buick's to Chevrolet and most of it's SUV's. Reliability has nothing to do with the type of engine, it is more to do with how well the design is executed. The 3.4L, 3.5L & 3.9L were merely adequate engine designs, engines designed to save GM money, they were really nothing to write home about and certainly not competitive. The 3.8L that was used in earlier Impala's was a way better engine.

For all out reliability, its hard to beat the Small Block Chevy's from the sixties & seventy's. They could tolerate a lot of abuse and neglect and still keep running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bowtie...thanks for the reply. Fromwhat I gathered, vvt systems require better (cleaner) oil passages in the system, hence doing oil changes on time and making sure oil is topped up, as the vvt solenoid needs proper oil pressure...correct?
I guess as pushrod goes it requires less involvement as the crank shaft makes the rods move..correct?
I guess the plus with vvt can adjust timing and produce more power?
I grew up on caprice's and my favourite one i owned with my 1996 caprice police pack (with smaller L99 engine)..,, man i loved that car!
My dad also had an early 2000 impala with the 3.8. It had good pickup, only issue was the tranny went!
Fab

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes, The DOHC VVT 3.6 will not tolerate oil change abuse very well. It is important to keep the oil changed at reasonable intervals and use full synthetic. It has 3 Timing Chains and 4 Cam Phasers (VVT) plus a variety of chain guides and hydraulic chain tensioners that need good clean oil to stay reliable. As much as oil sludge is an enemy of any engine it is more so with a DOHC VVT from any manufacturer.

Crankshaft does the same thing on either type of engine.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Ok. Would you say vvt is more or less reliable than pushrod?
To add my 2 cents worth here, I'd say the overhead cam setup is more reliable than cam-in-block and pushrods. It can turn higher RPMs without fear of bending a pushrod.

The addition of VVT makes it more complex, which in general will affect reliability. But I've not read of any ongoing issues with it here. On the 1.4 turbos (Chevy Cruze) I've read of seals leaking on the VVT hardware, but I suspect that's related to recurring issues with the PCVs resulting in pressure buildup that helps cause the leaks - unvented turbo pressure pushes oil thru the seals. That cannot occur with the normally aspirated 3.6.

Doug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Doug, thanks for the reply. It's good to know. I know turbo's are fun, but carry a burden at times.
In terms of suspension...would the pp setup be really different than a standard FE3 setup (ie: on ltz's)?
Fab

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
In terms of suspension...would the pp setup be really different than a standard FE3 setup (ie: on ltz's)?
Fab
That I cannot tell. But I think, besides the police car RPO - 9C1 or 9C3 - the other RPO's implied by that will also be listed on the RPO sticker. So you might check that and see what else is on it, if FE3 or FE4, etc, is listed there.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
In general terms pushrods are rock solid, BUT you get into DOD engines and compromises are made. I am not well versed on the FWD cars, just wanted to say simplifying pushrod or not is a gross oversimplification.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts